Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Help sex the angels! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/help-sex-angels-31373/)

jana 10-29-2009 12:27 AM

Help sex the angels!

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone identify what sex both the angels are?

1077 10-29-2009 03:29 AM

I have yet to hear or see anyone who could accurately sex Angelfish. Best way to tell is when they spawn, The males sexual organ is a bit longer and somewhat more pointed than the females which is shorter and more blunt. Have heard many who claim they can tell by watching a pair interact but the few I have cared for, including one large specimen presently,have shown no clear signs that I could point to.

Lupin 10-29-2009 09:10 AM

1077 is right. You really have no accurate means other than checking their ovipositors when they begin to spawn. Sometimes two females even spawn.:mrgreen:

jana 10-29-2009 11:05 AM

Oh thanku all i was just hoping that you could guess something using this picture. I picked them up thinking them to be a pair but now they show aggression towards each other even though part of it seems to be their mating ritual. Do angels once paired get separated again?

eileen 10-29-2009 11:51 AM

I have a friend that breeds angelfish and she can tell the difference. She told me that that one I have is a male as males have a slight hump on the top of their head. I also have a angelfish book that says the sex can be distinguished by the distance between the modified ventral fins, or feelers, and the anal fin, and also by the pectorals and comes back and down at about a 45 degree angle in a Male. That of the female begins a short distance back and then drops at almost a 90 degree angle to the body. My book also says that the often larger and more robbust of the pair will turn out to be a female.Some breeders have a certain techniques by which they can more or less reliably choose the sex.

The best known of these is the shape and spacing of the lower edge of the body that lies between the long slender trailing ventral fins and the single long anal fin that juts out beneath the fish.
The male fish's body in this area slopes gently downward, almost from the lower jaw to the leading edge of the anal fin, without too definite a change of outline. The female's, on the other hand, has a decided difference, for the outline curves in a circular pattern from the jaw around to the lower center of the body, where it meets the anal fin to make a 90 degree downward plunge as the anal's leading edge.

Prior to actual breeding, a female's abdomen has a more rotund appearance, due to the ripened eggs within her, and this is of some aid in sexing these fish. This was all in my Angelfish book. Also males and females will pair off and take over one particular area and keeping other aquarium inhabitants away. Sometimes this is a corner or even one whole side of the aquarium.