Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Hello! New to the forum! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hello-new-forum-31344/)

Kelso 10-28-2009 07:06 PM

Hello! New to the forum!

So I recently started up two aquariums at the same time, I know, what a dare devil I am.

I have a ten gallon:
One female betta splendens (Ruby)
Three Otos
Five White Clouds
Dwarf African Frog (Wolfgang)
Apple Snail (Unfortunately he'll grow out of that tank :-() (The Brain)

And a 25:
One Knight Goby (Mojo)
One Dwarf Butterfly Cichlid (Luna)
One Royal Farlowella (Twiggy)
One Sumo Loach (Boomer)
One Apple Snail (Pinky)
Three Panda Corys
Three Green Corys
Six Bloodfins

For the 25 I'm gonna finish it off with an African Butterfly Fish and a mate for the butterfly cichlid...idk if I'm gonna keep the bloodfins however...

The tanks have been going for about...two months now, all levels are great, never had any major fish deaths...I used to have gouramis in the 25...however, they were just getting too nasty, and one of them died in a fight...I had two blues and an opaline...if I was to ever get gouramis again, it would only be dwarf honeys

So I got some major concerns regarding my 25...it's planted with a large amazon sword, a kyoto, purple waffle, umbrella plant,and tropical fern, the filter pumps out water at a fairly high speed for proper aeration, all toxin levels read 0, temperature is fine hovers between 76-78...but it kind of seems my fish are gasping for air...now, none of them go to the surface to grab some like ive seen my corys do long ago when I was starting up...maybe I'm overreacting because I care a lot so anything seems like a major problem with me...does anyone got an idea as to what it may be?

Second question...I don't know what to do with my filter cartridge. I have the large tetra whisper bio bag disposable filters and I fill em with ammo-carb. When it comes to changing the filter, what do I do so I keep the beneficial bacteria???? I completely threw away the last one, and I didn't want to...but I needed to...it was filthy...

and lastly, how do you sex dwarf butterfly cichlids?

Thanks! I hope I enjoy it here!

aunt kymmie 10-28-2009 09:42 PM

Welcome to forum, you dare devil you!
I'm not sure if your fish are gasping for air or not as you say: "it kind of seems my fish are gasping for air...now, none". If they aren't gasping I wouldn't worry. How often do you do water changes and what percent do you change out?
I have no idea how to sex a dwarf butterfly cichlid but I'm sure someone here does.
Glad you joined us. :-)

MoneyMitch 10-28-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npjpkac (Post 265323)
So I recently started up two aquariums at the same time, I know, what a dare devil I am.

I have a ten gallon:
One female betta splendens (Ruby)
Three Otos
Five White Clouds
Dwarf African Frog (Wolfgang)
Apple Snail (Unfortunately he'll grow out of that tank :-() (The Brain)

And a 25:
One Knight Goby (Mojo)
One Dwarf Butterfly Cichlid (Luna)
One Royal Farlowella (Twiggy)
One Sumo Loach (Boomer)
One Apple Snail (Pinky)
Three Panda Corys
Three Green Corys
Six Bloodfins

For the 25 I'm gonna finish it off with an African Butterfly Fish and a mate for the butterfly cichlid...idk if I'm gonna keep the bloodfins however...

The tanks have been going for about...two months now, all levels are great, never had any major fish deaths...I used to have gouramis in the 25...however, they were just getting too nasty, and one of them died in a fight...I had two blues and an opaline...if I was to ever get gouramis again, it would only be dwarf honeys

So I got some major concerns regarding my 25...it's planted with a large amazon sword, a kyoto, purple waffle, umbrella plant,and tropical fern, the filter pumps out water at a fairly high speed for proper aeration, all toxin levels read 0, temperature is fine hovers between 76-78...but it kind of seems my fish are gasping for air...now, none of them go to the surface to grab some like ive seen my corys do long ago when I was starting up...maybe I'm overreacting because I care a lot so anything seems like a major problem with me...does anyone got an idea as to what it may be?

Second question...I don't know what to do with my filter cartridge. I have the large tetra whisper bio bag disposable filters and I fill em with ammo-carb. When it comes to changing the filter, what do I do so I keep the beneficial bacteria???? I completely threw away the last one, and I didn't want to...but I needed to...it was filthy...

and lastly, how do you sex dwarf butterfly cichlids?

Thanks! I hope I enjoy it here!

O you are a daredevil.....

anyways, about your first question. you say the fish were gasping when you were staring up, when you "started up" did you add all the fish at once along with all the plants? what were your maitnance routines like? and did it seem like they were gasping during the night when lights were off or when you just turned them on or what?

Onto your second question if the filter really needs replaced buy a replacement a little ahead of time before you need to swap out the old one about a week or so before). put the new one where the old one is and place the old one somehow in the filter too. it doesnt have to fit perfect just in the flow of water that will reach the new filter. this will give the bb time to colonize on the new one. then after a week or so pitch your old one.

Kelso 10-28-2009 10:15 PM

No no no...these fish were added as time went on...im not experienced, but weve had fish in our house before, and I know too many at one time is just over load... when i started it was the gouramis, 3 panda corys, and an amazon sword...as time went on i added more...but when i did first start the corys would head up to the surface now and then...

My regular cleaning routine is about 5 gallons every week and a half, and my effort is concentrated heavily on the gravel, to get the debris out. My friend said I'm over-reacting...I see it mostly in my bloodfins...do they always breath rapidly like that?

AND WOW! That's an amazing idea...i cant believe i never thought of that! What a great solution! Seriously thank you thank you! So when I go to stick it in the old filter...im assuming i should just leave the cartridge in there...not the carbon that was in it, right? If thats the case, that wont be a problem at all.

And P.S. MoneyMitch, I agree with your statement "you should know more about your fish than the lfs" I research heavily before I buy...and the answer I cant find online, the lfs never has em, so thats why i joined here!

MoneyMitch 10-28-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npjpkac (Post 265507)
No no no...these fish were added as time went on...im not experienced, but weve had fish in our house before, and I know too many at one time is just over load... when i started it was the gouramis, 3 panda corys, and an amazon sword...as time went on i added more...but when i did first start the corys would head up to the surface now and then...

My regular cleaning routine is about 5 gallons every week and a half, and my effort is concentrated heavily on the gravel, to get the debris out. My friend said I'm over-reacting...I see it mostly in my bloodfins...do they always breath rapidly like that?

AND WOW! That's an amazing idea...i cant believe i never thought of that! What a great solution! Seriously thank you thank you! So when I go to stick it in the old filter...im assuming i should just leave the cartridge in there...not the carbon that was in it, right? If thats the case, that wont be a problem at all.

And P.S. MoneyMitch, I agree with your statement "you should know more about your fish than the lfs" I research heavily before I buy...and the answer I cant find online, the lfs never has em, so thats why i joined here!

yep dump out your old carbon, some will argue that carbon isnt good for planted tanks but i wont go into that ill let them chime in if they like. and thats the same reason i joined here. nothing beats personal experience.

Kelso 10-28-2009 10:35 PM

Well I know this much...if carbon is bad for a planted tank...then my Amazon Sword must be a slow learner...because that thing wont stop growing! Thanks!