Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Goldfish turned white- is this normal?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/goldfish-turned-white-normal-31331/)

hulu 10-28-2009 01:48 PM

Goldfish turned white- is this normal??

Hi there,

For the last week or so I've been observing my carnival goldfish change from its normal white and orange-gold self to plain white. It started from its head and spread to its body, and now its tail (which was the only orange thing left). It doesn't look like fungus- the pigmentation of its body just changed to white. Is it normal for this to happen? Also, it started to swim a little tilted, is this the beginning of swim-bladder disease? I started feeding it peas again to try to remedy this.

Here are my specs:

1. Size of aquarium : 10 Gallon

2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? Freshwater

3. How long the aquarium has been set up? 1 month and 3 days now

4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium? one fantail goldie and one comet

5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? silk/plastic

6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 80 degrees Fahrenheit

7. What make/model filter are you using? Penguin 100 power filter w/ biowheel, (it's a 20g filter)

8. Are you using a CO2 unit? nope

9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? Yes

10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? This morning, 10%

11. How often do you perform water changes? Initially it was once a week, now it is twice a week.

12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? Aqueon Tropical Flakes 2-3 times a day, hikari freeze-dried brine shrimp and blood worms as a weekly treat, periodic frozen peas & other veggies

13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? incandescent, 12 hours

14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? Comet (carnival?) goldie turned white

15. What are your water parameters? My last test (around 1 week ago) showed pH between 7.6 and 8.0, ammonia between 2.0 and 4.0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. I suspect the tank is still cycling.

16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? Virbac Mardel 5 in 1 Test Strips and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater/Saltwater Ammonia Test Kit (liquid)

17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? Last time i purchased a fish was back when I first set up the tank.

Lupin 10-29-2009 09:02 AM

Is it doing well? Goldfish can change colors anytime as a result of pigment cells failing to retain themselves for some time. Black is the most unstable color. I keep four black goldfish and three are changing together from black to yellow. Since black is a melanophore albeit melanin for some who don't want to be any more scientific, the lack of exposure to sunlight prevents the fish from retaining its melanin therefore the melanin diminishes to be replaced by other color pigments such as xanthophore (yellow cells).

Edit:
Eeeewww....I personally hate flakes for goldfish! Flakes can expand slowly in the guts of the fish and add up air as the fish ingests them from the surface. I suggest dumping flakes and freeze dried stuffs altogether. Both should not be used with fancy goldfish that are predisposed to buoyancy issues. Gel foods whether homemade or by Mazuri (can be bought in Goldfish Utopia site owned by Ed), sinking pellets such as Hikari Lionhead and frozen foods are about the only ones I would use. Plants and vegetables (not gassy, sugary nor starchy) will work well as nice condiments.

JouteiMike 10-29-2009 05:12 PM

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4029457_n.jpg

Nicely put lupin. Here's an example with one of my fish. I bought him roughly 4 years ago as a black moor and he was COMPLETELY black, and over time he seems to have transformed into a fan tail! His eyes shrunk, and his black started turning orange, which is now a more yellowish. Amazing fish how they can change...

Lupin 10-29-2009 06:14 PM

Wow! You bought him as a black moor?:shock: He looks completely different from a black moor.:?

JouteiMike 10-30-2009 11:16 AM

Weird isn't it?

He looked like a typical black moor when he was a baby, but now that's how he looks!

willow 10-30-2009 03:41 PM

very pretty he is too.
i've had goldies change colour in the past.

hulu 11-04-2009 07:08 PM

the color changing has pretty much come to a halt. My goldie is more of a pinkish white now... very interesting to observe haha

lilyrazen 11-11-2009 04:56 PM

wow this helped a lot, 2 of my fish did this recently, one red and white comet turning all white and one calico fantail turning just orange (kinda a bummer but oh well)

reallyreallycoolfish 07-16-2011 04:26 PM

Right now my goldfish is turning white. She was all orange as a baby, and a few months ago she began to turn white. She stopped turning white after about a month, and became half white and half orange. But recently she has been turning all white. Her fins have remained almost all orange, and she is still orange around her mouth. She seems just as active as ever. I don't know what type of goldfish she is(by the way I'm not sure she's a she) I won her at a carnival but I've had her for over a year now. I would not be so worried if the change was gradual, but it is happening pretty quickly. Her fins are still in perfect form, and her scales seem normal. I don't think the white is fungus, her scales are actually white. She's about 3-4 inches long. Her tank is 2 or 3 gallons, and she is the only thing in it. She has lived in it all of her life. I have not changed the location of her tank, or any decorations in it. I cleaned it about a week ago, and I think I did it the same way as always. I changed her food 2 or 3 months ago, and am currently feeding her Tetrafin goldfish crisps. The room that her tank is in is lit most of the time just by sunlight, but the sun doesn't shine directly into her tank. I do not have a light for the tank. I only have an airstone in her tank, no filter. I was planning on buying her a 5 to 10 gallon tank with a filter soon. Would this help? I love my goldfish, and I don't want anything to happen to her. Should I get her checked out? What should I do? Please answer this if you are certified with fish, or if you work with fish. Also, has this happened to anyone elses goldfish? Please help me!

reallyreallycoolfish 07-16-2011 04:28 PM

My goldfish is quickly turning white! Help!

Right now my goldfish is turning white. She was all orange as a baby, and a few months ago she began to turn white. She stopped turning white after about a month, and became half white and half orange. But recently she has been turning all white. Her fins have remained almost all orange, and she is still orange around her mouth. She seems just as active as ever. I don't know what type of goldfish she is(by the way I'm not sure she's a she) I won her at a carnival but I've had her for over a year now. I would not be so worried if the change was gradual, but it is happening pretty quickly. Her fins are still in perfect form, and her scales seem normal. I don't think the white is fungus, her scales are actually white. She's about 3-4 inches long. Her tank is 2 or 3 gallons, and she is the only thing in it. She has lived in it all of her life. I have not changed the location of her tank, or any decorations in it. I cleaned it about a week ago, and I think I did it the same way as always. I changed her food 2 or 3 months ago, and am currently feeding her Tetrafin goldfish crisps. The room that her tank is in is lit most of the time just by sunlight, but the sun doesn't shine directly into her tank. I do not have a light for the tank. I only have an airstone in her tank, no filter. I was planning on buying her a 5 to 10 gallon tank with a filter soon. Would this help? I love my goldfish, and I don't want anything to happen to her. Should I get her checked out? What should I do? Please answer this if you are certified with fish, or if you work with fish. Also, has this happened to anyone elses goldfish? Please help me!