Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   The funniest/cuttest thing. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/funniest-cuttest-thing-31313/)

jesusjones 10-28-2009 12:43 AM

The funniest/cuttest thing.

So my african cichlid has had eggs in her mouth for at least a week or more now. And I've been keeping an eye on her.

One day while transfering some floating leave things from my guppy tank to my cichlid tank A FRY was caught up in the net and was soon chased around the tank. I thought it was eaten and really didn't care too much. The other guppies probably would of ate it anyways.

Now about 5 days later I was looking real close at my cichlids mouth to see if the eggs had changed into fish yet! :)

And guess who I found.. :-D

It was the guppy fry nestled away in her mouth. It didn't look comfy though :P

But it made me have a good laugh. And also let me know that she will probably be a good mother.

Just wanted to share that with some one.
Cheers,
Rudy

P.S. I was a member at another website but couldn't find it for the life of me.

aunt kymmie 10-28-2009 12:48 AM

Welcome to the forum. How funny that your guppy fry found the perfect place to hide, for now anyway. Any chance of a pic?

Twistersmom 10-28-2009 05:26 AM

Welcome to the forum Rudy!
Very cute story! Thanks for sharing!

ChristinaRoss 10-28-2009 09:05 AM

thats cute

bearwithfish 10-28-2009 10:41 AM

Welcome... WOW that is remarkable!!!! please keep us up to date as to weather the little one makes it .. i am very curious...

cerianthus 10-28-2009 01:50 PM

Af Cichlids foster parenting when she was not nurturing her own brood recently??
Hard to believe. i would figure fry would be eaten. Keep us posted

jesusjones 10-28-2009 03:20 PM

Well my cichlids have never sucessfully spawned before. It wasn't untill maybe 3 months ago that I even realized why my one female would be floating in the corner of the tank for about a week.

So I don't think she has ever had any real experince with her own live brood. But clearly she has the mothering instinct within her :P

I'll try to take some pictures later tonight. If I can't manage to get a picture of the inside of her mouth, at least you'll see my coolio fish.

Cheers,
Rudy

And Thanks for such a nice welcoming and responses everyone!

jesusjones 10-29-2009 08:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures of my cichlid

I couldn't get a picture of the inside of her mouth. And Havn't really been able to catch another glimpse of the guppy.

Like I said before, the gupy didn't look to comfy :tongue:

If I see him I will tell you. And I'll also report back if and when her babies are swimming around.

Cheers,
Rudy

redlessi 10-30-2009 10:07 AM

Welcome to the forum, I love your fish............................

Kim 10-31-2009 11:39 AM

She is a beautiful fish! And what a cute story..I wonder what will happen.