Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Is This True? Livebearers will nibble on a pleco until he eventually dies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/true-livebearers-will-nibble-pleco-until-31309/)

Swords and Mollies 10-27-2009 10:23 PM

Is This True? Livebearers will nibble on a pleco until he eventually dies?

I don't know who remembers my recent issues with 29 gallon tank. Low ph caused fin/tail rot and ick, and like 2 inches of my plecos tail shredded and disappeared in a matter of a week. Treated the tank and am raising the ph, but tonight a seemedly knowledgable guy at the Pet store (I know how most of you feel about pet store people) told my cousin, that livebearers will chew on a pleco until it dies. Does anybody know anything about this? Worried! Please help!

aunt kymmie 10-27-2009 11:42 PM

Many types of fish will take the opportunity to scavenge the dead body of another fish. A healthy pleco being chewed on until he dies? I've never heard of such a thing. Pardon me as I haven't seen your other thread and I may be asking a redundant question but what type of live bearers are you keeping and what size is your pleco? Is just his tail tattered? I keep a 3 1/2 inch pleco with fish twice his size and no one in this tank has the ability to pester, bully or harm him. Plecos are tough fish, IMHO.

Swords and Mollies 10-28-2009 12:49 AM

He's probably 3-4 inches, even with the large part of his tail gone. It is only his tail that is tattered. I have 3 mollies, 2 swordtails, 2 neon tetras, and 2 red eye tetras with him. He's at least twice the size of any of them still. He in no way seems the docile wimp that the pet store guy claimed they are. When he gets his algae wafer and they go after it, he is not the least bit timid when taking it away from them. The pet store guy claimed that the livebearers do it in the middle of the night (aren't plecos more nocturnal than livebearers?) and they do it b/c they know he will eat their babies. It is my understanding that they will eat there own babies (hence my last batch of babies was one swordtail, and I do have baby grass floating in my tank.) I think that covers all that you asked. I just couldn't really believe this and I can't believe they would all of a sudden, after months and months, shred his tail to half it's size in a week or two tops. ???

1077 10-28-2009 04:46 AM

Does the pleco have a hiding place ?(he should have) a fake log or cave would give him someplace to heal. I have seen plecos fins become tattered when salt was used in the tank on a too often basis. Have also seen bacterial infections take hold on fin areas of fish where blood vessels are the smallest. IF water conditions are favorable, the fins can heal on their own in a matter of a few weeks. If water conditions deteriorate ,then possible bacterial infection can develop and further secondary infections can present problems to the point where medications may be needed. Keep your water clean and fish can thrive.

Calmwaters 10-28-2009 08:16 AM

Ok this guy at the pet store in my opinion does not know what he is talking about. It sounds more like to me maybe your pleco has fin rot or something. I have never had any fish that I have kept ever bother any pleco I have had. Like Auntie said they have tough skin.

Swords and Mollies 10-28-2009 09:19 PM

Thanx everyone for your input. I thought that was hard to believe, especially since they've been together for months with no problems. The only problems that have arisen is now, when I have the fin/tail rot, which is affected the mollies as well

molliefan09 10-28-2009 09:28 PM

i have 4 live bearers in my tank with my pleco and they dont bother him in the least......the livebearers themselves are more likly to eat their babies than the pleco is...