Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Aquarium Products Reviews (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquarium-products-reviews/)
-   -   Does it work? A Tetra SafeStart Journal (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquarium-products-reviews/does-work-tetra-safestart-journal-312745/)

Flint 12-03-2013 02:14 PM

Does it work? A Tetra SafeStart Journal

I set up a 10 gallon tank last week and added three black mollies (1 male, two female) so it would cycle and I could convert it to brackish without having to switch fish. THESE WILL NOT BE HOUSED IN THIS TANK PERMANENTLY) Fish-in is my preferred method and I will leave it at that.

This tank has been running for 7 days today with no water changes or top-offs.

Tank Specs;
10 Gallon Tetra Starter Kit (Incandescent Lights)
1 Male 2 Female Black Mollies
Seachem Prime Water Conditioner
10lbs of Black Petco Sand
5lbs of Petco Gravel (Natural)
Small Arch Decoration with Silk Plants Attached
Tetra 5-15 Gallon Power Filter
Tetra SafeStart 100ml
75-79F

Tap Water Specs;
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
pH - 8.2
gH - Will add tomorrow
kH - Will add tomorrow

Tank Water Specs Before TSS;
Ammonia - 1PPM
Nitrite - 0PPM
Nitrate - 0PPM
pH - 8.2-8.4
KH - 15 dKH
GH - 14 dGH

I added the entire 100ml bottle (as recommended by Tetra) filled the bottle with tank water and dumped it back in a few times to make sure all of the bacteria went into the tank. I am not dumping this into the filter, just on the side that the filter is on because it is more difficult for me to access the other side of the tank.

I will post the tank water specs again this afternoon so the TSS has a chance to circulate.

No water changes will be preformed during the cycling process with TSS. This is an informative thread with the sole purpose of documenting the process of TSS and finding out if it actually works. My bottle was purchased at Walmart for $6.

Flint 12-03-2013 06:51 PM

I put a ceramic log in the tank along with an old emperor 400 (dried out) filter cartridge and an old, dirty (dried out) filter cartridge from the filter in the tank as well as an extra sponge I have for the filter in the tank so I can use them to seed my 75 gallon should this work.

The water parameters now read;

Ammonia - .5-1PPM
Nitrite - 0PPM
Nitrate - 0PPM
pH - 8.2-8.4
KH - 14
GH - 14

There was a slight change in the ammonia levels and in the KH but all else is the same. This is 4 hours after adding Tetra SafeStart. I will take readings again tomorrow and share. The slight cloudiness in the tank from adding the product has gone away now.

Flint 12-04-2013 09:58 AM

One of my females is bottom sitting and hiding today but I am sure they are both pregnant so she may be ready to drop. I won't be testing until this afternoon so it will have been at least 24 hours since adding the SafeStart.

ao 12-04-2013 10:02 AM

At 8.4PH Ammonia is quite toxic. Are you sure you don't want to do a water change?

or maybe some extra prime? :O

Sent from Petguide.com App

Hallyx 12-04-2013 10:38 AM

With total ammonia of 1.0ppm, at 78* and 8.4pH, free ammonia is 0.125ppm....tolerable for a few days, but still harmful.

CNYKOI - Ammonia calculator

Flint 12-04-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aokashi (Post 3533026)
At 8.4PH Ammonia is quite toxic. Are you sure you don't want to do a water change?

or maybe some extra prime? :O

I cannot add Prime, it cannot be used in conjunction with Tetra SafeStart. The ammonia showed a slight decrease after adding the TSS so hopefully when I test today it has gone down.

Hallyx 12-04-2013 11:33 AM

Regardless of what Tetra says, you can use Prime with TSS, in fact it's recommended in order to keep ammonia under control (<0.50ppm) in an inhabited tank. Prime initially binds the ammonia in a molecule that Seachem calls the "prime-ammonia complex." This molecule begins to decay immediately, thereby releasing its bound ammonia over the next 24 to 48 hours. This feeds the bacteria. Water changes are still necessary, regardless of Tetra's instructions.

Most TSS users I've talked to see results within days IF the TSS is fresh and has never been over-chilled or overheated.

I'm really interested in your results.

Flint 12-04-2013 07:01 PM

I ended up in the hospital today and am staying overnight. I had my fiancÚ take a cup of water out of the tank, I'll test it when I get home if you think it'll show the appropriate readings?
Posted via Mobile Device

ao 12-04-2013 10:29 PM

gosh, are you OK?

Hallyx 12-05-2013 07:25 AM

Water parameters can change overnight just sitting. You're better off just continuing when you get back.

I hope it's not serious and that you get home quickly and fully recovered.