Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   My corys (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/my-corys-31247/)

fishyinpa 10-26-2009 09:10 PM

My corys

Hey all been awhile since Ive been over here. Mostly hanging out on betta side. The 4 remaining adult Pandas seem to be fine. I am down to 2 babies though,no sign on the 3rd. The Pencilfish and Pygmy Corys have now been moved to their 12 gallon tank. They were in QT for like...gosh...almost 2 months haha. So I think they are good. Out of those fish,I lost 1 pygmy and the ghost shrimp.

Other than that,I am *thinking* about putting sand in the 9 gallon and getting some other kinda corys!! My lfs has Schwartzi,Punctatus (sp?),Aneus (sp? lol) and I think long fin Pandas. Maybe false Juliis but I am not certain. I know the Aneus and Schwartzi get kinda large, so I am thinking of the Punctatus. Also may get some Harlequin Rasboras. Thinking about some ghost shrimp, but I think I will wait till I know the tank is settled (mini-cycled) before getting them.

Everyone seems fine in the 12 now,I see the pygmys going around with the Pandas. Pencils up top hanging out. So alls good. :-D

1077 10-27-2009 03:21 AM

Sounds like a plan! false julii don't get very large , I have a shoal of eight and at nearly three years old the largest might be close to two inches.
On a related matter,, I seldom visit the betta section of this forum for the folks there have funny ideas as to proper care of fish,, but I did happen across your thread where you were speculating as to water being the cause of your fish losses with respect to bettas. Would seem all fish would suffer if water quality or content was an issue not just the bettas. For what it is worth,, I would submit that it is possible that given the often horrific conditions that these fish are kept in at nearly all fish stores,, that a possible viral infection was transmitted to one of your tanks and if infected fish shared water in several tanks,, is possible that all tanks are affected and a thourough cleaning of all betta containers ,decorations,gravel,nets,etc with bleach solution will be needed to rid the tanks and thus hopefully allow you to keep bettas longer. I might be tempted to throw out any old food that was six months old or older and I might cease with bloodworms and or tubifex worms for a while. I might also try feeding occasional Daphnia ,and pre soaking pellets bfore feeding the fish. please forgive me for straying from your topic and also if you have already utilized all of the suggestions.

fishyinpa 10-27-2009 11:26 AM

Its okay 1077. I appreciate the advice. Yes it does seem odd that if it were my water,that my corys and other fish are just fine. So along those lines,could be poor breeding of them or something thats being spread via decorations,tanks,whatever. I was thinking about that actually,wondering what else it could be. So I think I will go with that plan,dumping their old food (pretty sure its quite old),old nets. I do have new nets I got recently,so that should be good. What bout the gravel vacs? Think I should replace them or think they would be okay. That would be a pain to have to replace everything lol.

fishyinpa 10-28-2009 08:48 PM

So I went to my lfs and got some False Julii corys. They seem okay so far,tank hasnt completely cleared from the sand yet,but should soon. Dont know if can put anything else in there with them,probably not. Its only a 9.25 gallon tank. I also got 3 more pygmy corys (my lfs actually had them!). Maybe the other pygmys be happy now with more of them. Everyone in the 12 seems to be a-okay. I am gonna have test that tank soon,though no one has been fed yet lol. Well thats it for now. Gnite.

1077 10-29-2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishyinpa (Post 264504)
Its okay 1077. I appreciate the advice. Yes it does seem odd that if it were my water,that my corys and other fish are just fine. So along those lines,could be poor breeding of them or something thats being spread via decorations,tanks,whatever. I was thinking about that actually,wondering what else it could be. So I think I will go with that plan,dumping their old food (pretty sure its quite old),old nets. I do have new nets I got recently,so that should be good. What bout the gravel vacs? Think I should replace them or think they would be okay. That would be a pain to have to replace everything lol.

I think I would simply run some bleach water in the tub and submerge the gravel vac's for an hour or two and then rinse hell out of em and allow them to dry completely.

fishyinpa 10-29-2009 10:42 AM

Ah okie. Sounds good. Thanks.

fishyinpa 10-31-2009 06:07 PM

So I got a 14 gallon kit from walmart for the new corys and the danios. So hope thats better suited for them lol.