Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Filter choice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/filter-choice-312466/)

Vpaw 12-02-2013 09:04 PM

Filter choice

For my 20 gallon planted tank, it's current filter is a HOB and I just put in floss instead of carbon. I fill the water up higher to keep the flow from disturbing the plants. I mostly have bottle dwellers living in it, sand substrate, Cory cats, AFD's , mystery snail, otto, and my swimmers are a platty (going to add 2 more when I get the 30 gallon goldfish to a pond) and a molly(who will be moving to the 30)

I was thinking a canister filter? Mine worked for a long time, but it's making horrible noises now and just it's so efficient, plus it's the one that came with the tank. Any recommendations?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jaysee 12-02-2013 09:17 PM

Tom rapids mini canister.

Vpaw 12-02-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 3524938)
Tom rapids mini canister.

Seems pretty cool, I'm looking to save as much money as I can, since I'm in high school and my on,y job is pets sitting. Do you have that one? Does it work? Does it do a good job?

jaysee 12-02-2013 10:50 PM

I have it on my 10 - too strong as it was so I drilled a bunch of holes in the spraybar. I like it a lot for what it is. Could be designed a little better, but I like that the motor is on top. Sunsun makes a mini canister as well. I really like their full size ones but on the minis the motor is on the bottom, which can cause problems with sand tanks.

Vpaw 12-02-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 3525522)
I have it on my 10 - too strong as it was so I drilled a bunch of holes in the spraybar. I like it a lot for what it is. Could be designed a little better, but I like that the motor is on top. Sunsun makes a mini canister as well. I really like their full size ones but on the minis the motor is on the bottom, which can cause problems with sand tanks.

Is a mini canister just a small canister? And if it makes a difference I have titanium moon sand, which is pretty heavy. :)

Vpaw 12-04-2013 12:49 AM

I guess maybe a canister for a 20 gallon isn't worth it. Any other recommendations?

jaysee 12-04-2013 01:03 AM

I think it's totally worth it. If not, I'd go with an AC50.

rsskylight04 12-04-2013 02:35 AM

Just my humble opinion, but for a 20 gal I would go for the aquaclear. Especially if cost is an issue.

Vpaw 12-05-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsskylight04 (Post 3531866)
Just my humble opinion, but for a 20 gal I would go for the aquaclear. Especially if cost is an issue.

How much shoul I expect to be spending on a filter?

jaysee 12-05-2013 01:17 AM

for a 20 gallon, $30. No more than $50