Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Fish Very Stressed. Help please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/fish-very-stressed-help-please-31224/)

thestratomaster 10-26-2009 03:00 PM

Fish Very Stressed. Help please

My tank (10 gallon) until the weekend had 3 tiger barbs(fairly young and small), a couple plants, and some rock structures they can hide in. I went to the fish store to buy a fish or two more and another plant. The lady says that I should be ok with a small bala shark and clown loach in addition to my barbs and shouldn't have a problem. They were all very good at first. Very relaxed. This morning my loach is swimming all over the place and up and down as if he wants to jump out. The bala shark also has his freak out moments. They all, including the previously ok barbs, seem very stressed. What do I do???

mollies 10-26-2009 03:25 PM

TAKE THEM back ASAP. They will out grow your tank or end up stressing to much and get ick and die.

Twistersmom 10-26-2009 06:16 PM

Test your tank water for ammonia and nitrites.
I agree with mollies, the store gave you bad advice. I would take the bala and clown back. Both grow way to large for your tank. They also need to be in groups, can be quite skittish if not.

You will even be pushing it, by keeping tiger barbs in a 10 gal. They will need at least a 20 gal at adult size. Very active fish, need swimming room.

Romad 10-27-2009 06:02 AM

Yup. Bring them back immediately. Can't believe they told you it would be ok.

1077 10-27-2009 06:27 AM

How long has the tank been running with fish in it ? what water conditioner are you using?
If this is an (uncycled) new tank of less than three weeks, You will need to perform near daily water changes of two to three gallons replacing that which you take out, with clean water that has been treated with dechlorinator such as PRIME or AMQUEL+ those are full function water conditioners that will detoxify ammonia from fish poop and urine which if left in the tank, will kill your fish within days if not hours. I too would remove all but the three tiger barbs to help keep waste levels low until the tank matures or (cycles) I would feed the fish once every other day and only a pinch of food. This will not hurt the fish but it WILL help keep toxins such as ammonia and nitrites from killing the fish. I would also purchase a test kit such as the API freshwater master kit So that you can test the water for ammonia and or nitrites and change the water when levels become dangerous. You can also have the fish store test your water ,,most will do it for free if you bring them a sample, but I would NOT take that sample to the fish store that suggested the shark and the clown loach. Clearly they are not to be trusted with respect to properly stocking a fish tank. Plenty of folks here to help you ,just ask. Not everyone should half to learn the hard way through sick and or dying fish ,,how to set up a trouble free tank with fish that will actually thrive as opposed to die.
In order of impotance,, I would purchase one of the two water conditioners mentioned,, And I would purchase the test kit. The one mentioned is used by many but even the strip style tests which aren't all that accurate, will give you a ball park figure and help prevent lost fish. You will also need small handheld gravel vaccum to use for removing the water and sucking up any uneaten food or fish waste (poop). The shark and clown loach absolutely won't work in a ten gal tank. Both are shoaling species that need to be kept in groups and need plenty of swimming room. While they may do ok in something like a 55 gal when young,, they will need larger tank on the order of 75 to 125 gal with larger being better when they reach five inches long. But don't take my word for it, google information on the species of fish before you go shopping for fish and in this way,, you will have some knowledge about the fish without relying on ignorant fish store employees .

thestratomaster 10-27-2009 01:22 PM

I will do that. Thanks everyone. Are there any fish (maybe bottom feeders) that would be ok with the tiger barbs?

Jerryed 10-27-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestratomaster (Post 264546)
I will do that. Thanks everyone. Are there any fish (maybe bottom feeders) that would be ok with the tiger barbs?

Cory cats should be okay. Maybe a dwarf type pleco like a bristle nose or smaller. Something that wont get past 1.5-2"