Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Snail Infestation (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/snail-infestation-31222/)

Sensamelia 10-26-2009 02:17 PM

Snail Infestation

I need help, i need to exterminate. Or something. Hundreds Hundreds.......eeeeeeek.

They are a little to happy now. I dont imagine my pet store will take them back. aaaaaaaaaaa! :-D

mollies 10-26-2009 02:26 PM

what size of tank? YOu could put a slice of cucumber in tonite and in the morning take it out throw it away.and keep doing that untill they are all gone. or lettuce

Fishin Pole 10-26-2009 05:21 PM

you could try assassin snails, but if your infested with them, it would take alot of assassins to impact your tank.....The veggie trap will work too, but that can take a long time also.....This is what i have done and it works rather well.......Take a length of hose with a diameter larger than most the snails, stick one end in the tank and start a suction on the other end pointed into your net over a bucket, your trapping the snails in the net allowing the tank water to pass thru while you use the end in the tank like a vaccum cleaner, sucking up the snails...........You can continually do this and keep putting the water back in your tank or it can be done during water changes............I think its easier and quicker than trying to pull them out one by one..............Watch how much you feed your fish also.....The more the snails have to eat, the more they will breed........

MoneyMitch 10-26-2009 07:01 PM

might also want to try a spinach leaf heard that works like the cucumber thing.

Jack Middleton 10-26-2009 07:08 PM

stop over feeding, its as simple as that. A boom in snail population means excessive over feeding, and lots of food being left over.

In my opinion, it is easier to combat the problem, than constantly fight a loosing battle

ron521 10-29-2009 11:01 AM

I had an infestation in my 75 gallon community tank. I purchased six yo yo loaches, and within two weeks, there were no more snails to be seen. We sometimes witnessed yo yo's rooting in the soil for snails, and eating them.
The loaches get along well with the other fish, and add a different color to the tank. Yo Yo's also don't get as large as clown loaches.

Lupin 10-30-2009 10:16 AM

"Pest" Snail FAQ

B00NE 11-17-2009 01:30 AM

well i know that botia loaches will eat all of the loaches in no time, but you will have to get more than 2. assasin snails do great also....but if your not into those ideas, use a copper based medication, it will 100% kill all of the snails

1077 11-17-2009 03:13 AM

I would remove all fish and filters from the tank before trying the copper based chemicals. Is very good chance that bacteria will be destroyed in filter and sudden death of infestation of snails could cause ammonia levels to skyrocket.
I actually like the hose idea, and may give it a go in two year old 20 gal with more than a few trumpet snails.;-)

Byron 11-18-2009 12:50 PM

I second 1077 on the copper. Copper is highly toxic to fish and plants; it will, at sufficient levels, kill both very quickly. Copper-based medications are always a risk for this reason; some fish like characins and corydoras are highly sensitive to copper, as are some plants. The toxic level is difficult to determine because it can be affected by water hardness, pH and organic matter.

There are always safer methods than resorting to chemicals or toxic substances.

Byron.