Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Aquarium advice for X-mas present (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/aquarium-advice-x-mas-present-311498/)

Miskatonic 12-01-2013 02:27 AM

Aquarium advice for X-mas present

I'm going to buy my dad a new aquarium and all the accessories for X-mas since he's not had one since we moved awhile back. I just need some advice on where to buy the aquarium itself as well as some stocking options for fish.

I want a glass aquarium, at or around 30 gallons.

I've seen setups like this:

29 Gallon Fish Tank » SeaClear 29 Gallon Show Tanks | PetSmart

But I want to make sure I buy an aquarium that's not cheaply put together and is going to have leaky seams within a few months. Also, is it better to go with a canister or power filter?

For fish options, I like the following:

Cory's
Gouramis
Plecos
Mollies
Danios
And the smaller guys like tetras, rainbow fish, rasboras, etc.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

willow 12-01-2013 03:43 PM

hello and welcome.
others will hopefully chime in with good advise for you, i prefer external
filters,as you get more tank room for plants and fish.

Flint 12-01-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

I'm going to buy my dad a new aquarium and all the accessories for X-mas since he's not had one since we moved awhile back. I just need some advice on where to buy the aquarium itself as well as some stocking options for fish.

I want a glass aquarium, at or around 30 gallons.

I've seen setups like this:

29 Gallon Fish Tank » SeaClear 29 Gallon Show Tanks | PetSmart

But I want to make sure I buy an aquarium that's not cheaply put together and is going to have leaky seams within a few months. Also, is it better to go with a canister or power filter?

For fish options, I like the following:

Cory's
Gouramis
Plecos
Mollies
Danios
And the smaller guys like tetras, rainbow fish, rasboras, etc.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
I am personally going to be purchasing the 37 gallon kit by aqueon on petsmarts website. A canister filter will ALWAYS be the better option.

As far as stock, if you want a pleco you can only keep a single bristlenose in a 30 gallon. A single gourami, some mollies and cories would make a lovely tank. Possibly even a few danio but you have to have a school of at least 6. Of the fish you mentioned, I would personally stock the following;

1 Powder Blue or Honey Gourami
10 Zebra Danio
5 Mollies
6 Panda Corydora
1 Bristlenose Pleco

These would all work in a 29 gallon (like the one you pictured).

DKRST 12-01-2013 05:55 PM

I guess the first question is, what's your budget? I'd recommend giving your dad "fish coupons" for the actual fish, since you can't add all those at one time to a new (uncycled) aquarium. I'd recommend, if you can afford it, a canister (Eheim 2213, or something similar).

You could physically house 2-3 BN plecos into a 30 gallon tank, but if you ended up with 2+ males (can't sex them when they are small), they wouldn't really have enough room to each stake out a territory, so as recommended, much better to go with one BN. Plecos also are a heavy "poop" load fish and add a lot to the bio demand on a tank, reducing what else you could add without overwheming the filter.

Miskatonic 12-01-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 3517578)
I guess the first question is, what's your budget? I'd recommend giving your dad "fish coupons" for the actual fish, since you can't add all those at one time to a new (uncycled) aquarium. I'd recommend, if you can afford it, a canister (Eheim 2213, or something similar).

You could physically house 2-3 BN plecos into a 30 gallon tank, but if you ended up with 2+ males (can't sex them when they are small), they wouldn't really have enough room to each stake out a territory, so as recommended, much better to go with one BN. Plecos also are a heavy "poop" load fish and add a lot to the bio demand on a tank, reducing what else you could add without overwheming the filter.

My Budget is $250 give or take for the tank and equipment, fish are a separate budget. Yeah I definitely will wait until it has been cycled, just want to make sure I get a fish stocking setup that the filtration and the water can handle.

If I don't put a BN pleco in there what does that free up? Can I add another Gourami?

Flint 12-01-2013 07:56 PM

IMHO, two gourami will kill each other in a 29. I have never had much luck keeping more than one gourami per tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 12-01-2013 08:58 PM

Welcome to the forum! A properly taken care of tank sounds like a great Christmas present. A 29 gal (or thereabouts) is a great beginner tank size. That site showed a tank decorated with fake plants, but I'll always be a proponent of live plants. Easy plants like anubias and java fern tied to driftwood are a great addition to any aquarium. The gourami will greatly appreciate floating plants. Mine love to hang out under them.

As for stocking, a lot is going to depend on what you can find around you. Shipping in fish is expensive. I would stock the tank like this:

2 mid-swimming shoals (this is going to be fish like the tetra, rasbora, platies, ect--I'd personally do harlequin rasbora and x-ray tetra)
1 bottom shoal (bronze cories are a hardy and adaptable species)
3 honey gourami (2 female and 1 male)
1 bristlenose pleco (unless you can get 1 male and 1 female)

All of these species are rather adaptable to hard and soft water, provided yours isn't too far one way or another.

rsskylight04 12-01-2013 10:20 PM

29 or 30?

If your trying to choose between a 29 or 30 gallon tank, I would advise to get the 30. The 29 gallon is a great beginner tank, it was my first serious aquarium, but the 30 gallon has a few advantages in my opinion. First the29 gal. is a tall tank so it has less surface area per gallon than a 30 long. Also, if you want cory catfish , the 30 gal has a larger footprint in square inches, more bottom area for the corys. And plus that one extra gallon of stability. Of course if you can I would say get a bigger tank, about 60-75 gallon is great size and a lot of options open up as far as stocking. Good luck

Miskatonic 12-01-2013 10:26 PM

40 Gallon Aquarium » Top Fin® 40 Gallon Aquarium Hood Combo | PetSmart

Also looking at this as a possibility. Anything bigger isn't going to work.

rsskylight04 12-02-2013 12:24 AM

Just my opinion- that 40 gal will make a MUCH nicer aquarium than a 29 gal. I love the 40 gal size because of the extra room front to back, and its still only 36" ;only 6" longer than 29. Its not very tall, but it has large surface area and also a lot of space on the floor for your corys. I have a 40 g tank with loaches and I think it's a perfect size... if your not going to go for a 75gal.