Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   cloudy tank.. please help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cloudy-tank-please-help-31148/)

taylorg 10-25-2009 09:14 AM

cloudy tank.. please help

i have a 20 high its been set up for about year now. the past three weeks my water has been geting very cloudy, not green water but almost a gray whight color i do partial water changes weekly and i dont over feed i cleaned my fillter very wel,l except for the sponge. i even tried water clarifier with no improvment . i had my water tested and its all good the fish in it are 1 medium size angel and two small firemouths which are soon being moved to 55g they are just in the 20 till they get alittle bigger.

any ideas???????????

molliefan09 10-25-2009 09:33 AM

do you know what your water params are exactly?? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate??

taylorg 10-25-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molliefan09 (Post 263352)
do you know what your water params are exactly?? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate??

no i dont own a test kit so i just get my water tested by my lfs

molliefan09 10-25-2009 09:50 AM

it would be a good investment!! i just got one and im VERY glad i did...anyway.........my first guess may be that you have some ammonia in your tank and "good" from a LFS just may mean its not crazy high but still there ( i found this out the hard way).....im not sure where to go from here but i am sure someone will be by with somemore helpful info for you....good luck!

p.s. the API master testkit is good and they usually got for 30-40 buck at any pet store that has aquarium supplies

taylorg 10-25-2009 10:00 AM

thanks

Byron 10-25-2009 11:47 AM

Causes could be a bacterial bloom; biological equilibrium off due to fish overcrowding, overfeeding, decaying matter, infrequent water changes; or suspended particulate matter in the tap water. I've had the latter at certain times of the year when heavier rains wash soil into the water reservoirs and some of the very fine particles come through.

Testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate would be a good start. Also, run a large glass or clear bowl (the wider the better) of water from the hot and cold tap and see if it is clear. Sometimes the hot water heater can cloud the hot water, or sediment is just in the water as I mentioned.

If all tests are OK, and the fish do not show abnormal activity or signs of stress, I wouldn't worry. And don't use those clarifiers; they work by coating particles, and they do that in the fish gills--which is why the fish usually move to the other end of a tank when they are added. Years ago I used one, never again; chemicals do not belong in an aquarium.

Byron.