Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Neon tetras have ich (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/neon-tetras-have-ich-310921/)

Austin 11-29-2013 05:19 PM

Neon tetras have ich

Well, I got 20 neon tetras and apparently they had ich... there's a few white spots on a few of them. They are in my 44g "quarantine" tank now. So, can anyone help suggest a treatment for me? I've been reading a lot and the high temperature treatment seems the most appealing but I'm not sure how well neon tetras will do at 86. Neon tetras seem specially sensitive to everything, so not sure how to begin. Thanks!

keepsmiling 11-30-2013 08:52 PM

Raise the temp very slowly and do daily water changes, making sure to eliminate anything on the bottom.

jaysee 11-30-2013 09:55 PM

In my experience they can take the heat treatment just fine - at least 86 for 2 weeks. I don't ever do water changes or vacuums during treatment. The heat kills off the parasites and dead parasites don't reinfect the fish.

Austin 12-01-2013 03:03 AM

Thanks! I'll raise it to 86 for a couple weeks then... It's currently at 84... inching my way up. The neon tetras seem to not be acting any different. They don't look stressed. They are fairly new though so I feel bad putting them through additional stress but the ich will kill them if the heat/stress doesn't, I guess. :( We'll see how it goes!

jaysee 12-01-2013 07:08 AM

The heat wont kill them in 2 weeks. However, they are a cooler water fish so if one were to keep them at that elevated temp long term, then it's likely that they will see a shortened life span from them.

cyclesnipas 12-01-2013 06:20 PM

Had the same problem with my Cardinals. Raise the temp to 86 your neons will be fine. May take up to 3 weeks before the ich fully disappears. But once its gone its gone.

jaysee 12-01-2013 06:37 PM

If it's not all gone by the end of the first week then it would be good to bump the temp up a little. Some strains are a little more tolerant of the heat than others.

Austin 12-01-2013 06:41 PM

Do you think about 85.2 is okay or should I go a bit higher? My neons seen okay at that temperature but I'm a bit skeptical of the accuracy of my thermometer... The water feels warm to the touch. Don't wanna go too crazy.

I will keep an eye on it. I feel like I see less spots today. They have probably dropped off; hopefully the heat prevents them from reproducing or whatever.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 12-01-2013 07:11 PM

I have never experimented to see how low will work. If it's working at the temp you have it, then I would stick with it. If it's not all gone after a week, kick it up a little but start the 2 weeks over.

What kind of thermometer is it?

Austin 12-01-2013 07:16 PM

It's a digital thermometer but its cheap from walmart... acurite? I've had it for a while and its been dropped in the water several times.... I guess I have no real reason to assume its inaccurate other than that it's cheap. I'll try my aquarium thermometer later too :) The heater is set to 87 but I have the calibration all screwed up on it. :/

How do I know its gone? No white spots? Isn't it possible its still present? :/