Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   t5 ho light fixtures. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/t5-ho-light-fixtures-31034/)

johnnyjiron 10-23-2009 01:30 PM

t5 ho light fixtures.

I have a 55 standard size freshwater tank. I want to add a t5 ho light fixture for my plants...

Which brand and model do you guys recommend? Im sort of a begginner so please bare with me if i have alot of questions...:-D

Jack Middleton 10-23-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyjiron (Post 262367)
I have a 55 standard size freshwater tank. I want to add a t5 ho light fixture for my plants...

Which brand and model do you guys recommend? Im sort of a begginner so please bare with me if i have alot of questions...:-D

before adding more light we need to know your current light. the more light you add the more nutrients the plants will uptake and if they're limited then the plants will show deficiencies.

do you already inject CO2 and fertilize your plants?

johnnyjiron 10-23-2009 02:20 PM

Well I have the normal stock lights, which equals a total of 30 watts...and I have i have eco-complete for substrate..

So no Im not injecting co2 or fertlizing my plants..Right now i only have some anubias on driftwood and java moss..

WisFish 10-23-2009 02:21 PM

I agree with J.M. If you're using CO2 injection then I'd use a 2 bulb, T-5 Ho fixture. Otherwise, I'd use a single bulb model.

Jack Middleton 10-23-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyjiron (Post 262386)
Well I have the normal stock lights, which equals a total of 30 watts...and I have i have eco-complete for substrate..

So no Im not injecting co2 or fertlizing my plants..Right now i only have some anubias on driftwood and java moss..

if your plants are doing fine as they are, then i wouldn't up your lighting, there really isn't any need.

johnnyjiron 10-23-2009 02:29 PM

Ok which brand and model do you guys recommend?

Also what number should i keep my ph?

by the way wisfish nicetank.

johnnyjiron 10-23-2009 02:33 PM

well thats the thing, they are not.. they dont look as green as the plants i see in this forum..

Man you guys have beautiful tanks..hopefully one day I can have tanks like that :o)

Jack Middleton 10-23-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyjiron (Post 262396)
Ok which brand and model do you guys recommend?

Also what number should i keep my ph?

by the way wisfish nicetank.

stick with the lighting you have, there is not need to add to it.

keep your PH as it is, theres no need to adjust it. but 6-7.8 is fine

johnnyjiron 10-23-2009 02:46 PM

In the begginning..I added a lot of plants..And they all died..so I must be doing something wrong..what can I do?

Jack Middleton 10-23-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyjiron (Post 262409)
In the begginning..I added a lot of plants..And they all died..so I must be doing something wrong..what can I do?

Add fertilisers. upping the light will make things worse, plants need nutrients, co2 and light in balance