Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Guppy Fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppy-fry-3103/)

Fuzz 02-06-2007 12:28 PM

Guppy Fry

My female guppy's fry are clearish yellow like her but the fathers are all colorful, will the babies eventually get color and when can I tell their gender? One older guppy is getting bigger.

My sunburst babies are also a flat orange my older female one is dark orange around the tail and plain lightish orange around the face and body and tip of tail. Will my baby sunburst get their dark color too? (similar question to the above guppy one)

Also, I can't seem to get rid of my still very overcrowded 10g tank with 20 fish in it, most are no bigger than the average little kids pinky nail but they will soon grow and cause a big problem. What can I do, the store doesnt want them back, everybody already has a full tank and I don't know how to kill a fish (I did read that pin though) I wouldn't have the heart to do it. Plus I need to get rid of my female guppy she just wont stop getting prego(stupid me, thinking she wouldn't over breed) I can't handle any more baby fry. Plus I bought a Prego Sunburst who had 5 babies 3 more on the way and I heard That she can have up to 20 different batches in a month when only bred once!

5 neons
3 full grown male guppies
1 full grown female guppie
around 4 guppy fry one seemely larger than the others
1 full grown female sunburst
4-5 sunburst fry
1 1 1/2 inch pleco
thats all but more babies on the way

All my tank levels are fine except hardness, and I don't Know what that means! Help!

*sorry I wrote so much now, I just havent been on for so long that one of my plecos died and I havent been able to get on here in a while*

Sorry, Megan....... :wink:

shavon 02-06-2007 01:21 PM

What exactly are you trying to get rid of, the fish, the tank, or both? I am still waiting on my fish to pop. I have three prego platies and four prego guppies. I can't wait. I am excited. Do you actually have rabbits or do you just like them?

Fuzz 02-06-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shavon
What exactly are you trying to get rid of, the fish, the tank, or both? I am still waiting on my fish to pop. I have three prego platies and four prego guppies. I can't wait. I am excited. Do you actually have rabbits or do you just like them?

I love rabbits but I own around 20+. We breed them I have pictures in the off topics fourm.

our website is rcmrabbits.tripod.com its always updated!

I'm trying to downsize the fish- overcrowded

soco1125 02-06-2007 08:09 PM

Haha, I got guppies specifically to feed the babies to my angels. Even the tetras will chase and eat them. I see this as an excuse to get a new tank for something predatory like angels, gouramis, or African butterfly fish ;)

lioness501 02-07-2007 04:51 AM

the fry r always born clear and mine started to gain colour now and they r just under 2 months old. u should b ablr to sex them at 3 months. i have a 2 month old molly and can def tell shes a lil girl!!

Matt 02-07-2007 09:16 AM

my platty fry just now are getting color and they are week and a half old.

FDStation152 02-07-2007 12:41 PM

I'm suprised that I'm the first one to comment on this but almost no fish start out life with their adult coloration and of course it takes time to develop. The fact that fry start out one color and turn into something else is nothing to be surpised about. Some start out black, some start out clear...depends on the fish but its rare for them to start out fully colored.

Fuzz 02-07-2007 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDStation152
I'm suprised that I'm the first one to comment on this but almost no fish start out life with their adult coloration and of course it takes time to develop. The fact that fry start out one color and turn into something else is nothing to be surpised about. Some start out black, some start out clear...depends on the fish but its rare for them to start out fully colored.

Thank you, what should I do with my adult female guppy that I cant get rid of, And she's too big for angle fish to eat, I'll probally send the little ones to anglefish world. :roll:

FDStation152 02-07-2007 06:27 PM

Not sure about that one. I've always had bigger fish around that would eat something the size of a guppy if given the chance.

Matt 02-07-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Quote:

Originally Posted by FDStation152

Thank you, what should I do with my adult female guppy that I cant get rid of, And she's too big for angle fish to eat, I'll probally send the little ones to anglefish world. :roll:

Box them up and send them to me...I have a few fish that can manage to eat them for you.