Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   DIY Breeder cage/net (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/diy-breeder-cage-net-31019/)

mollies 10-23-2009 02:13 AM

DIY Breeder cage/net

3 Attachment(s)
Ok for starters you will need 20 feet of yarn (color of your choice) and bigger needle. i used white. 4 plastic fishing bobbers, 5 sheets of plastic with holes in it(You will find in the craft section at walmarts or hobby store). Cut the sheets to what ever size you want it. Then sew the bottoms to the sides, then sew the sides together. Then atache the bobbers to the 5 row of holes down from the top. Ther you go you have a floating breeder Cage or net. ( You can also atach fake plants to the bottom of it).[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 4935[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

nfored 10-23-2009 08:09 AM

Nice, I would use fishing line to tie them together though.

bearwithfish 10-23-2009 08:48 AM

either would work (fishing line or yarn) i recently made a simmiler item using the same plastic canvas and built a structure with some of the hols enlarged to put in my female tank in case of unexpected drops i put it on the bottom butted up top the glass so i can see inside.. .... i love DYI!!! Mollies i will send you pix next week :)

molliefan09 10-23-2009 10:17 AM

interesting!! it probably cost 1/2 the price of buying a breeders net!! and i just went and bought one last week...if only you had posted sooner lol

mollies 10-23-2009 01:42 PM

Well i just posted last night. lol any who yes only $3.00 to build....... I use them for my cichlids. The fry are to big to fit through the holes. But your mollies platys guppys in swordtails might go thro the holes. So you could rap with panty hoes.

biokid101 10-23-2009 09:34 PM

i thot u could just but a breeders net

molliefan09 10-23-2009 09:36 PM

you can but he found a good way to make one for A LOT less money. i paid $13.00 for mine and his only cost $3.00 for all supplies and you just put it together yourself

Rohland 10-24-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molliefan09 (Post 262630)
you can but he found a good way to make one for A LOT less money. i paid $13.00 for mine and his only cost $3.00 for all supplies and you just put it together yourself

thats a good idea, I was thinking of making something like that. Yes its true that is a good deal. I cant even find a breeding net at my lfs. Only the horrible, stress-inducing, tiny breeding trap.

molliefan09 10-25-2009 08:53 AM

the breeders trap just SOUNDS stressfull...i dont know that i would use it.....Thanks for posting this Mollies...i think a lot of people will find it VERY useful!!

mollies 10-25-2009 01:50 PM

You guys and gals are welcome. I used the breeder nets traps and all of that. But i noticed it stressing the fish so then i said well i have to make some thing biger that they would be more comf, in so i made that. and it cost less to make then what thos cages, traps, nets cost.