Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Help with plant scape (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/help-plant-scape-30956/)

MoneyMitch 10-22-2009 03:37 AM

Help with plant scape

ok guys so i totally redid my aquarium today. im getting ready to take the dive into a heavily planted aquarium with all that ive learned here. I really only have about half of my tank that will have room for plants so about a 2x1 square that i have room to plant in. im also getting ready to buy some new lighting since i only have x2 tubes one on each side of the tank which are only 15w each. so obviously this isnt going to be enough lighting for what i want. I will plan on adding fert and whatever is going to be nessicary to make the plants thrive WITHOUT the use of co2 injection, thats just too much for me to do with a new baby and all. so my ph is around 8.0 with extremely hard water (dont know how that effects plants)

so onto the questions

1. How would wisteria work in this equation?
2. Can i only have the good lighting over the plant side?
3. How many watts should i have on the plant side of the aquarium?
4. Suggestions for plants that grow about 4-5 inches and are "bushy" and easy to care for

Thanks for help everyone.
Mitch

Jack Middleton 10-22-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 261547)
new baby and all. so my ph is around 8.0 with extremely hard water (dont know how that effects plants)

so onto the questions

1. How would wisteria work in this equation?
2. Can i only have the good lighting over the plant side?
3. How many watts should i have on the plant side of the aquarium?
4. Suggestions for plants that grow about 4-5 inches and are "bushy" and easy to care for

Thanks for help everyone.
Mitch

1.Wisteria should grow fine, other good plants would be crypts, anubias, microsorum species.
2. Yes but i would illuminate the whole tank as it can be done quite cheaply.
3. 1WPG will be sufficient using T8's
4. Crypts are my favourite plants, although a surface scum which i believe is a protein can gather in tanks with lots of crypts and surface agitation will get rid of it. again anubias are good, you should try to get a graduation from large to small plants to give variation and depth.

MoneyMitch 10-22-2009 09:23 AM

Thanks for the tip jack, im not a pro by any means at aquascape lol, all i know is i want a forest on one side and rocks on the other and that wistera were the ones that grow to what im looking for.

aunt kymmie 10-22-2009 10:17 AM

You might also want to try Hygrophila corymbosa. I've had pretty good luck with it and you can prune it for a very full bushy effect. I have a ph of 7.8 and VERY hard (off the charts!) San Diego water, similar lighting and substrate as you, and use Flourish Excel as a liquid C02 source. It's a stem plant and not expensive so if it fails in your tank you won't lose much cash (baby needs new shoes :-)) experimenting with it. Crypts also do well in my tank and like Jack, they are some of my favorite plants.

baron von bubba 10-22-2009 08:06 PM

have a good look around the web at different tanks on "aqua scaping" sites.
get a better idea in your head of what you'd like to achieve.
there are a fair few "styles" of tank with different things to consider in each. if thats yer thing of course!