Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Starting out afresh (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/starting-out-afresh-309505/)

edricong 11-26-2013 09:00 AM

Starting out afresh

Hi guys, Iam planning to buy a new tank, its 3foot long, 1 foot up, 25cm front back. I want to properly cycle this tank and give my fish the best possible set up, also Iam willing to spend 20bucks on gravel and sand. I have potted plants which are easy to maintain. Should I cycle the tank with the plants in there or should I place them in my 10gal spare tank in the meantime? Also I want to keep a carnivore fish. Any ideas? Thanks guys. One more thing, should i get aquarium media without putting them in my filter. I would get a test kit ASAP.

Myrox 11-26-2013 09:44 AM

Oscars are fun. or flowerhorn very mean though

edricong 11-26-2013 09:52 AM

Pictus cats?

edricong 11-26-2013 09:57 AM

Pictus cats?

rickey 11-26-2013 03:34 PM

36"x10"x12" tank will not support a Oscar or Flowerhorn simply not larger enough
R

rsskylight04 11-26-2013 03:44 PM

Pictus cats are one of myfavorite fish.

Hallyx 11-26-2013 03:51 PM

It doesn't make much difference, but as long as your plants are easy to remove, cycle without them. I guess you're planning on a fishless cycle. Do yourself a favor and find "pure" ammonia that does NOT foam when shaken. Rotting shrimp or fishfood is a smelly mess. Your tank will reek for months.

Many keepers have been having good luck with bottled nitrifying bacteria. As long as it is fersh and has never been frozen or overheated, they work a lot faster than waiting for the bacteria to fall out of the sky into your tank. Shake, shake, shake...then shake some more. Put it in your filter.

Tetra Safestart is easiest to find, so it is the most widely used --mostly successfully by my informants. ATM Colony, API Quickstart and Niteout are also well reviewed. Dr Tim's One-and-Only is shipped fresh from the factory in an insulated container so is most likely to arrive in your tank alive and healthy. It is also the most expensive.

---Dose ammonia >4.0ppm
---Run your filter on high for aeration
---Temperature ~84*
---Keep it dark.

Not sure what you mean by "aquarium media."

Good price:

Hallyx 11-26-2013 03:59 PM

edricong 11-26-2013 04:41 PM

Thanks for the great advice! Pictus cat it is! I will update about the tank when iam back from Taiwan. Starting cycling on thursday next week, do u guys think the fish accesories there are cheaper?

jentralala 11-26-2013 05:34 PM

Pictus cats get much too large for that size tank. They really do best when kept in a 4 foot tank minimum. They are a boisterous fish that requires ample swimming space, and they also need to be kept in a shoal of at least 5. This fish will reach approximately 5", and keeping a shoal of them in a 3 foot tank will be quickly overstocked.

I don't think there are any "carnivorous" fish that can fit in a 3 foot tank, many get very large and need a lot of swimming room.
What about a dwarf gourami?