Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   How do you REALLY tell if a female guppy is near birthing? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/how-do-you-really-tell-if-30923/)

Madilyn 10-21-2009 04:13 PM

How do you REALLY tell if a female guppy is near birthing?

Title says it mostly; How do you tell if a female guppy is near birthing. I got some female guppies who are pregnant, but I have no clue when they were bred. Please give me as many signs as you know! I have heard something about them 'squaring off' or something like that, but what does that mean? Does anyone have pictures of a female guppy ready to give birth? Also, when they show these signs, how long is it until they give birth?

redlessi 10-21-2009 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the forum!!! Here is a picture, hope this helps. The red line is what it looks like when ready to drop. Good Luck

Madilyn 10-21-2009 06:59 PM

Thank you redlessi, but I have another question; how long are they like this before they drop?

redlessi 10-21-2009 08:13 PM

They usually are pregnant for about 28 days or so give or take before dropping. Mine had babies and I didnt even know it until I saw them in the tank. Good Luck

Madilyn 10-21-2009 09:48 PM

EEEEEK! She's giving birth already! I put her in a huge fine net and floated the net in the tank with the handle propped on the edge of the tank closed in the tank hood so it is like one of those... what do you call it... breeding net or something like that. So far, as far as I can tell there are about 10-15 fry, plus there are probably more that I missed that are still outside of her net...

redlessi 10-22-2009 09:02 AM

Wow Congrats!!!!! I would love to see it in action. My 1st mom delivered over the period of two days. Good Luck

Madilyn 10-22-2009 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks. She finished birthing! I kept her in the net until around 9-9:30pm last night, and then I took her out because I was pretty sure she was done... wrong! I took her out, and this morning I looked and there were maybe 4-7 fry in the tank swimming around. There are probably 40-50 fry altogether. They are so adorable! They sure look a lot like betta fry. I was keeping my betta fry in there before this (they are the same size BTW), and then moved the betta fry to two different 5g tanks when I got the guppies, and when I saw a couple guppy fry swimming around in there I thought "did I miss a couple bettas???"

I have a question though: One of my other females look like they are getting ready to give birth too, but she is still eating and everything, though she looks squared off. Here is a picture of her(sorry, it isn't very good quality because she is in a net). Does she look nearly ready to you??

molliefan09 10-22-2009 07:54 PM

i would say so

Madilyn 10-22-2009 08:35 PM

How long do you think it might be???

molliefan09 10-22-2009 09:32 PM

i would say anytime now.....shes pretty big