Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   20gallon Fresh Water Tank opinions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/20gallon-fresh-water-tank-opinions-30911/)

Hawkins20 10-21-2009 03:53 AM

20gallon Fresh Water Tank opinions

As of now I have

1 albino bichir
1 Elephant nose
1 Black ghost knife
1 Black moor
1 Gold molly
2 angel fish
1 chinese algea eater

This is all in a 20 gallon tank
and I am wondering how long it will take these fish to grow bigger
so I know when i'll need to purchase a larger tank. ??
Please help me out I am a rookie to this

Lupin 10-21-2009 04:15 AM

I would upgrade the tank now or rehome them if I were you. The combination is completely mismatched.

Albino bichir-Minimum of 30g for Polypterus senegalus. Predatory by nature and can reach 12 inches in length.
Elephant nose-Incompatible with BGK. A 30g should be minimum.
Black ghost knife-Incompatible with elephant nose. A 120g is minimum.
Black moor-Incompatible with all your fish. This is a coldwater species and can reach 10-12 inches as well.
Gold molly-Compatible only with angelfish. Fits well in 20g.
Angel fish-A pair is best kept in a 30g minimum. Compatible with mollies and BGK only.
Chinese algae eater-Incompatible with all fish. These are belligerent and can reach 10 inches max.

MoneyMitch 10-21-2009 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 261037)
I would upgrade the tank now or rehome them if I were you. The combination is completely mismatched.

Albino bichir-Minimum of 30g for Polypterus senegalus. Predatory by nature and can reach 12 inches in length.
Elephant nose-Incompatible with BGK. A 30g should be minimum.
Black ghost knife-Incompatible with elephant nose. A 120g is minimum.
Black moor-Incompatible with all your fish. This is a coldwater species and can reach 10-12 inches as well.
Gold molly-Compatible only with angelfish. Fits well in 20g.
Angel fish-A pair is best kept in a 30g minimum. Compatible with mollies and BGK only.
Chinese algae eater-Incompatible with all fish. These are belligerent and can reach 10 inches max.

+1

Hawkins20 10-21-2009 04:52 AM

They all get along fine I just want to know how long it takes for them to grow

1077 10-21-2009 05:15 AM

Prolly won't survive long enough to grow big. You would have much more success with a 75 to 100 gal tank for the fish you currently have. Acouple of the fish you have are specialized feeders and or predatory by nature and they don't always compete well for food. they also need established territories that they can stake out and the 20 gal just doesn't offer enough room to do this. You may temporarily be able to house them if they are all under four inches and have plenty of hiding or resting areas in the form of caves made of rock or PVC pipe ,or wood either real, or artificial. But as they grow, they will quickly need more room. Any research at all on these fish would have suggested same.