Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   What is the limit of lighting untill c02? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/what-limit-lighting-untill-c02-30900/)

MoneyMitch 10-20-2009 08:59 PM

What is the limit of lighting untill c02?

So i have a 55 gal no special substrate just sand. i want to be able to have more than "low light" plants but have been told on here that if i had 160 watts per gallon it would be wayy to much light and i would need to add c02 and could possibly have algae probs. what would be a good watt per gallon in a 55 for mid light level plants? i want to stay away from adding c02 and the E.I since i have a baby and that would just be too much to keep up on.

willieturnip 10-20-2009 09:17 PM

One hundred and sixty watts per gallon! How on earth can you manage that?

Teach me your ways lighting guru! ;-)

MoneyMitch 10-20-2009 10:35 PM

well home depot sells a four bulb fixture that houses 4 48 inch 40 watt bulbs WITH reflectors for less than 40$ just researching a little bit before i take the plunge.

baron von bubba 10-21-2009 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 260949)
So i have a 55 gal no special substrate just sand. i want to be able to have more than "low light" plants but have been told on here that if i had 160 watts per gallon it would be wayy to much light and i would need to add c02 and could possibly have algae probs. what would be a good watt per gallon in a 55 for mid light level plants? i want to stay away from adding c02 and the E.I since i have a baby and that would just be too much to keep up on.

think you meant total! :0)

its hard to put exact figure on this sort of thing.
but 2 tank length T8's would be a good limit.

2 tank length T5's would probably require CO2 addition. or floating plants etc, to shade the rest.

have you looked into the "liquid carbon" products at all?
flourish excel is one provides a good middle ground in regards to co2.

WisFish 10-21-2009 08:07 AM

As they teach at school the correct answer is "It depends". But a quick simple answer would be to stay around 2 watts per gallon. I know watts-per-gallon is based on the old T12 bulbs. So if you want a better measure based on my own quick research, use around 150-175 lumens per gallon. A 4' T-12 produces around 3000 lumens. This varies I'm sure by manufacturer.

I use a fixture that uses 3 t-8 32 watt bubls for my 55gal. I know Byron uses fixtures that use 2 40watt bulbs for tanks larger than 55.

MoneyMitch 10-21-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron von bubba (Post 261052)
think you meant total! :0)

its hard to put exact figure on this sort of thing.
but 2 tank length T8's would be a good limit.

2 tank length T5's would probably require CO2 addition. or floating plants etc, to shade the rest.

have you looked into the "liquid carbon" products at all?
flourish excel is one provides a good middle ground in regards to co2.

so x2 t8 40 watts with fert should be fine foe mid light plants?

Galvanize 10-21-2009 09:57 AM

MoneyMitch,

With two T8 lamps the length of your tank, you will be able to grow anything. My tank of a similar size is densely planted, but I find it needs CO2. I have tried the CO2 at lower levels, but have to increase it due to staghorn algae appearing when the CO2 becomes limiting. The bigger the tank, the less WPG you need proportionally, for it to become a high light tank.

That said, you never know until you try, so you may get away without CO2 injection.

MoneyMitch 10-21-2009 11:37 AM

yea algae is my concern w/o c02 injection and adequate lighting. Of course it going to take some time to get the tank densly planted but in the mean time ill buy a 2 light fixture and some more plants and seachems flourish liquid fert. Sounds like im gunna just have to battle algae untill i get the balance correct. thanks for everyone insight.

baron von bubba 10-21-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 261172)
yea algae is my concern w/o c02 injection and adequate lighting. Of course it going to take some time to get the tank densly planted but in the mean time ill buy a 2 light fixture and some more plants and seachems flourish liquid fert. Sounds like im gunna just have to battle algae untill i get the balance correct. thanks for everyone insight.

It wont be a battle against algae!
Add excel.
Make sure the flow is upto scratch.
Make sure ferts are non limitin.
Keep light low initially.
Good tank cleaning routine.
Easy. :-)

MoneyMitch 10-21-2009 06:06 PM

okey dokie, hopefully next month ill be able to go out get a fixture, about 5-10 plants along with my ferts and well see how things go. im already in a battle with the brown algae, its also starting to creep on my sword. the algae is growing too fast for the labs to keep up.