Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Caring for guppies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/caring-guppies-30883/)

dustin0 10-20-2009 02:44 PM

Caring for guppies

So I moved everything in my 10 gallon tank over to my larger 40 gallon tank and so I got 4 guppies two male and two female. The lady just said they were "fancy guppies" I placed them in there and put a little Stress Coat in the water. However these guppies are just staying at the top of the water and not moving much. They are not dead! There are plants and a half broken flower pot in there for them to swim around my goldfish have loved the tank. Will they start to slow around the reason Im asking is because I dont want the guppies to get sucked up in the filter since they are fairly small fish.

Calmwaters 10-20-2009 03:31 PM

Have you checked your water? If this is a new tank it will go threw a cycle and if you do not do it right your fish will continue to die.

dustin0 10-20-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 260729)
Have you checked your water? If this is a new tank it will go threw a cycle and if you do not do it right your fish will continue to die.

Its still the old water from the goldfish, the ammonia is almost at 0 and the temp is at 78F.

Calmwaters 10-20-2009 03:54 PM

What about nitrates, nitrites? If these are up to high it can kill your fish. Was the 10 gallon cycled? If so did you move any filter media to the new tank, or gravel? I have to leave but someone else will be here to help you shortly and they will need to know these things. Good luck with your fish.

dustin0 10-20-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 260735)
What about nitrates, nitrites? If these are up to high it can kill your fish. Was the 10 gallon cycled? If so did you move any filter media to the new tank, or gravel? I have to leave but someone else will be here to help you shortly and they will need to know these things. Good luck with your fish.

I dont check for nitrates and I probably should but I did not move anything Im hoping they are just in shock and will get more calm as the day goes on.

Calmwaters 10-21-2009 08:07 AM

Was the 40 gallon tank already set up with fish in it? If so for how long? And yes you should probably check for nitrites/nitrates and ph. That would be a better way to know if they are stressed because the move or if its the water.

dustin0 10-21-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 261087)
Was the 40 gallon tank already set up with fish in it? If so for how long? And yes you should probably check for nitrites/nitrates and ph. That would be a better way to know if they are stressed because the move or if its the water.

Thanks for your help, the Guppies are in the 10 gallon and most of the time they swim around the top but they do chase each other and are more active. I have 4 females and 3 males hope they get along well.

Calmwaters 10-22-2009 08:38 AM

Glad they are adjusting and acting normal.