Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Possible Aiptasia outbreak (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/possible-aiptasia-outbreak-308778/)

Tazman 11-25-2013 12:49 AM

Possible Aiptasia outbreak

So, it seems what I though may have been feather dusters might be Aiptasia anemones.

I will post pictures later as its lights out now at the time of writing this post.

Question is, is there harmful or just a pest?, I seem to have an awful lot spread across the tank.

One treatment I know of is inject them with Lemon juice to get rid of them. there is one piece of live rock which has a lot of them, might be able to sacrifice it and let it dry out but will this actually kill them?

badxgillen 11-25-2013 01:20 AM

If you are wanting a reef tank full of corals then aptasia are the devil. I personaly like kalkwasser or aptasia-X,maybe Joes juice. I prefer biological control so you may need a few peppermint shrimps of a copperband butterfly fish, I have had much luck with the aptasia eating file fish as well...and then there are the bhergia nudibranchs that eat aptasia up and only aptasia.

Tazman 11-25-2013 09:37 AM

Tank is way too small for a butterfly as its only 55g, I would not be able to keep this long term.

I think if it does turn out to be Aiptasia, then Aiptasia-x will be the way to go.

badxgillen 11-25-2013 11:43 AM

Sorry ,should have asked about the tank size. Like I said if you have kalkwasser and make a paste out of it you can syringe it over the aptasia.That is the cheapest way to go but don't over do it as it can raise your PH and calcium when used excessively.

Tazman 11-25-2013 08:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of what I am now 99% sure are Aiptasia.

badxgillen 11-25-2013 11:16 PM

Kiiiiill it!

Tazman 11-25-2013 11:39 PM

I am NOT going to do the Kalk paste as its too big of a risk in a small tank.

I ordered some Aiptasia-x online which should be here Wednesday. Then can start nuking them.

Tazman 11-28-2013 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Let the nuking commence!

badxgillen 11-28-2013 12:14 PM

Blast em all!
Hopefully they have not spread too far or you may still need a biological control as they can get in the tightest places in and behind the rock work were it can be difficult to even see they exist.I still have a couple tanks, that the little buggers snuck into, that I am unable to entirely eradicate due to the type of fishes in the system.

Tazman 11-28-2013 09:10 PM

Wow does that stuff work!
Spent 45 minutes trying to get as many as I can, there are some very very small ones still left but the bigger ones imploded on themselves, kind of cool to watch.

The Aiptasia - x is fish and reef safe, it says the skimmer might go into overdrive for a bit but the solution will naturally breakdown after about a week.

Highly recommended if anyone has Aiptasia in their tank.