Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   My "little" pleco (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/my-little-pleco-30876/)

SophieThomas 10-20-2009 12:34 PM

My "little" pleco

I have a beautiful pleco that I have had now for about two and a half weeks. Since getting him he has grown considerably (leading me to believe he is a male) but also, all of his white spots have gone very dark. Is there anything that could be contributing to that change?

mollies 10-20-2009 12:52 PM

what kind of pleco is it?

MoneyMitch 10-20-2009 02:36 PM

since there isnt much info about the fish here, im going to throw my opinion of the fish being stressed out there. cant be sure untill you give info.

molliefan09 10-20-2009 06:26 PM

can you give us anyother info on the fish and the tank and oher tank mates?? it would be much easier for us to give you any advice

SophieThomas 10-21-2009 12:23 AM

Sorry about that! He is a "common pleco" or I guess "sailfin pleco". The tank is 29G and the pleco is still a baby measuring around 3". His tank mates are 9 zebra danios and 6 long finned black skirt tetras. The other fish are in great physical health and the tank stats are what to be expected during cycling (Nitrite=0.00ppm, Nitrate=0.00ppm, Ammonia=1.00ppm, pH=6.6). I have put an ammonia neutralizer in the tank and the fish are doing just fancy. There is a cave that the pleco has claimed as his own and he it getting along well with his tetra friend (a solitary tetra that seems to like the pleco more than his own kind).

He started at about 2 inches with white spots and is now 3" with dark spots. I feed him 2 TetraVeggie Algae Wafers per day which he gobbles up like a champ.

Rohland 10-21-2009 12:42 AM

ugh you need to do a water change right now. Your ammonia neutralizer wont fix the problem long term, just do a water change to get your ammonia down. It should be like .25 at the most I think.

mollies 10-21-2009 12:46 AM

and the next thing is to rehome your pleco they get way to large for your tank. They even get to big for 75 gallon tanks. They get up to 16 inchs or bigger.

SophieThomas 10-21-2009 02:24 AM

I do a 30%+ water change three times a week but I will certainly increase that. The pleco I am keeping an eye on especially with his colour/size change. How big do you think he can get before I HAVE to switch him to a larger tank? 55+ is what I have read but I am certainly willing to go bigger for him.

The ammonia neutralizer I know is a short term fix and am certainly keeping an eye on as it well. Will increase changes over the next 14 days and see how it goes.

1077 10-21-2009 04:29 AM

Any ammonia levels over zero are stressful to fish. Some more than others, but ALL are stressed. A water conditioner such as PRIME or AMQUEL+ along with frequent water changes will relieve the stress and plecos colors may return. Subtrates that are bright and bright lights often cause colors of fish to fade as well.
The pleco will need larger tank within four months assuming you want it to remain healthy and 55 gal would be suitable. I might also suggest reducing the amount of food you are offering the fish in your cycling tank. This will reduce ammonia levels as well. Fish will be fine with one small feeding a day. Maybe a dime size amount of flake food crushed once a day. But then I recall suggesting you not add any fish to cycling tank other than what you had when first you posted here. Ammonia neutralizers can skew test results and also starve beneficial bacteria which could result in your tank taking much longer to mature or (cycle). But ultimately, it's your tank, your fish.

SophieThomas 10-21-2009 11:22 AM

My substrate is quite dark and my lighting moderate (no grow lights yet). I will stop using the ammonia neutralizer as per your suggestion and increase the size/number of water changes and see. Hopefully he'll get his pretty spots back soon :-)