Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Would this work as a QT tank for cory catfish? + other questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/would-work-qt-tank-cory-catfish-308706/)

KeshiaB 11-24-2013 10:55 PM

Would this work as a QT tank for cory catfish? + other questions

I'm getting 4 dwarf cories* in January to add to my 32 litre tank (currently home to a single male bettta) and was wondering if something like this would work as a good quarantine tank:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/willow-28l-snap-lock-storage-box_p2581094

Would I need to get a filter for the container or can I just do water changes?

My current tank has been going through a silent cycle with the betta since September (not ideal I know but I'm a noob and has NO idea about cycling until stumbling across this forum) so it should be established by January and I'll have some filter media with beneficial bacteria. I'd also like to add some ghost shrimp a month or so after the cories.

Also, my tank is planted and has smooth gravel as substrate, I've read that cories prefer sand so should I add some on top of my gravel? My gravel is white and I'm not sure if you can buy white aquarium sand...

*if I can actually find some in Melbourne!

keepsmiling 11-25-2013 05:52 AM

28 litres is just over 7 gallons. If you get one a bit bigger it would be best. And yes you can use a container to qt. Yes you should use a filter. A sponge filter with an air pump will work. What will you do if the betta does not like tank mates?
If you add sand over gravel it will fall through.If you want a sand substrate, remove the fish to a container{be sure to cover or keep water level very low in a large container}, take out the gravel and replace with sand.Yes white sand is available that is safe for freshwater aquariums.
By my calculation, your tank is just over 8 gallons? Cories need a large footprint. Not sure how happy they are going to be in this tank. I wouldn't recommend them for anything smaller than a 20 long. You will need to feed them.

KeshiaB 11-25-2013 05:56 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

KeshiaB 11-25-2013 06:01 AM

This is something similar, I can get bigger. If my betta doesn't like tankmates then I'm planning to sell them on. As for my tank size, several people over on the betta forum assured me dwarf cities would be fine in a tank this size, are they wrong? Also, AQ Advisor puts my stocking at 61%, is that bad?
Posted via Mobile Device

keepsmiling 11-25-2013 06:08 AM

I don't believe in aq advisor, sorry. I go by common sense.

KeshiaB 11-25-2013 06:11 AM

Oh ok, I'm new to this so really just going on what other fish keepers tell me. Maybe I should only get shrimp :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

keepsmiling 11-25-2013 06:25 AM

Keeping shrimp with a betta can also be iffy. Some will tolerate tank mates, others absolutely will not and kill or harass everything that moves. Is it possible to set up another tank for the other fish and shrimp you would like to keep?

KeshiaB 11-25-2013 06:32 AM

My betta could be ok with tank mates, the tank he was in at the pet store also had tetras in that he didn't seem bothered by them and vise versa. I can't get another tank, I rent and my agent has only allowed my current tank with written permission from the landlord, they stated only one tank is allowed permanently.
Posted via Mobile Device

keepsmiling 11-25-2013 06:42 AM

You can not compare how a fish will act once he is in his own tank, to how fish act at an LFS. Fish at the store are nervous, new to the tanks, and not established. You can try it, but be prepared to make changes if it does not work out.
You were considering dwarf corydoras? This fish- Corydoras hastatus? Dwarf corydoras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

KeshiaB 11-25-2013 06:50 AM

That's true, I'm going to take all the precautions though, like taking the betta out before adding new critters, rearranging the decor and having a back up tank/container ready if things get ugly. As it is my tank is fairly well planted so any new fish/inverts will have hiding spots. Yes, I'm considering either corydoras pygmaes, hastatus or habrosus.
Posted via Mobile Device