Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   Is brown hair algae normal in a month old cycled tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/brown-hair-algae-normal-month-old-3087/)

spinalremains 02-05-2007 07:58 PM

Is brown hair algae normal in a month old cycled tank?
 
Hi guys, I have a 29 gal. tank with 50 lbs of live rock, 25 lbs of livesand/crushed coral substrate. 3 small fish, a sea star, 15 reef crabs, 2 top snails. My tank is getting a ton of brown hair algae all over my live rock and the substrate. My specific gravity is 1.023, pH 8.4, ammonia-0, nitrIte-0, and nitrAte is around 20ppm. My temp is at 76.5, I am running a uv sterilizer, and have a cpr aquatics bak-pak skimmer. I only use R/o water ever. Two different LFS told me the brown algae is normal and not to worry about it, but I am worried that it could be possibly choking out my liverock. I am using a 55 watt compact flourescent light. I know the nitrAtes could be lower, so I am going to do another water change in a couple of days. Thanks in advance for any input.

spinalremains 02-05-2007 09:34 PM

Forget it, I got my answer from google.

Lupin 02-05-2007 09:41 PM

Spinalremains, none of the active users at this time are marine keepers. You have to be patient as they also have work and other things to do outside the forum. You don't want inaccurate advice from FW keepers, do you?:)

UV sterilizers will not work on brown hair algae as the algae must pass the UV in order to be killed. Check your phosphate level.

If you use only RO water without mixing it with tapwater, your tank water may be mineral deficient.

caferacermike 02-05-2007 09:44 PM

For the rest of the world. No it's not normal. Brown film algae on sand and glass is. It should disappear in about 6 days on it's own if you don't feed the tank. It is a step in the maturation of a new tank, usually between 7-20 days. Hair algae is always a bad sign.

spinalremains 02-05-2007 09:45 PM

Good point, thanks blue. I edited my last post. My tank is only a month old. I will do a water change tomorrow to try and drop the nitrAte level down from 20ppm.

spinalremains 02-05-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caferacermike
For the rest of the world. No it's not normal. Brown film algae on sand and glass is. It should disappear in about 6 days on it's own if you don't feed the tank. It is a step in the maturation of a new tank, usually between 7-20 days. Hair algae is always a bad sign.

I read elsewhere that its normal and had two LFS reassure me it wasn't a problem. What could this lead to if it doesn't disappear? Will it kill of my live rock?

spinalremains 02-05-2007 09:51 PM

Most of this algae, I would say 95% is not hairy at all. But the other 5% is respirating bubbles from it. The hairy stuff is worrying me a little. I sure don't want it to spread.

Lupin 02-05-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinalremains
But the other 5% is respirating bubbles from it.

They're releasing oxygen. Seems there is oxygen saturation in your tank that cause the algae to pearl.:)

caferacermike 02-06-2007 06:48 AM

Well you said brown hair algae didn't you? So are you back tracking and changing your mind? I can't tell what you want as far as advice.

Is hair alage normal in a one month old tank? Absolutely not.

Is diatomaceous brown slime algae? Yes. If it persists longer then a week to ten days you have other problems. Will it trap air bubbles, yes.

Pics would help. Be careful of yoru descriptions of you want the best help possible.

Now think for a second of how rude it is to give an improper description, get advice for that description, then come back and tell everyone they are wrong because your LFS said so. If you were satisfied by what your LFS told you, you wouldn't have came to a forum to ask. Not to mention that you then back tracked and changed your mind to having a brown slime algae for 95% and just a hint of hair algae.

Melissa 02-06-2007 08:59 AM

Is there any way we can get a pic so we can be 100% sure of the advise we give you. I am confused as to whether it is hair algea or not


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2