Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Pictures of new Aquarium! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/pictures-new-aquarium-30838/)

joshheat25 10-19-2009 08:32 PM

Pictures of new Aquarium!

Here are pictures of my new aquarium it's 6 weeks old and I now have all the fish I"m going to put in there. With the decorations... Minus a possible algae eater of some sort "still don't Know.... " what type.
I plan on Vaccuming this tank every 2 weeks along with weekly water changes. They seem to be doing well.

Schmidtys tank - 10 gallon Freshwater fish tank

Twistersmom 10-19-2009 08:41 PM

Your tank looks nice! You should get some more cory, they do better in groups of at least 3.

joshheat25 10-20-2009 05:08 PM

thanx for the advice. I dunno if adding 2 more cory would overload my tank or not? Right now I am having trouble keeping this brown algae down.

fighttest 10-20-2009 05:32 PM

just curious whats the name schmidty from?

Arkamaic 10-20-2009 05:50 PM

With as much light that you have, algae may be a problem since it has no plants to compete with. Adding some live plants will help with that. You could do some wisteria, java fern, or lace fern. When I started my 2.5g Betta Tank, I originally didn't want live plants, but with an 8 watt light for 2.5g, the algae took off, and the plants helped reduce that.

Whats the total fish count?

Twistersmom 10-20-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshheat25 (Post 260741)
thanx for the advice. I dunno if adding 2 more cory would overload my tank or not? Right now I am having trouble keeping this brown algae down.

Have your water tested or buy a water testing kit, if you do not have one. If the tank is cycled, zero ammonia and nitrites, I think it would be fine to add a couple more cory.

SinCrisis 10-20-2009 11:54 PM

brown diatoms are common in new tanks generally they help the tanks stabilize a little by consuming the extra nitrates and will eventually die off and be replaced with the more common green algae. In terms of algae eater, your really limited to just Otos in a 10 gallon. They consume brown diatoms like no other algae eater does, but are very sensitive to water conditions. They are generally kept in groups of at least 3 or 4 but will do ok in pairs. They will need algae wafer feeding later on, but then again anyl algae eaters would need that.

jmlampert23 10-21-2009 02:54 PM

sweet!!! nice and clean

bearwithfish 10-21-2009 03:09 PM

nice tank !!!! love your GUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LisaC144 10-22-2009 02:32 PM

If you don't want an algae eater, I notice my swordtails are always picking at algae that grows on my plants. You could always add one or two of them for some color in your tank too. However, it is true that cories do better in small shoals of at least 3.