Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Clown Knife Fish Optimum Tank Conditions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/clown-knife-fish-optimum-tank-conditions-30824/)

yummymummy 10-19-2009 04:54 PM

Clown Knife Fish Optimum Tank Conditions

We recently bought a Clown Knife fish and I'm curious about what optimum conditions are for him. He's about 8" - 9" and currently lives in 55 gallon with a pleco (4"-5"). He's very friendly and quite active despite what some websites claim. I've done quite a bit of research online but typically come across the same websites over & over without learning anything new.
My concern is since we got him his skin doesn't look as nice. We've been feeding him a diet of live feeder fish. We've offered flaked food, pellets and frozen bloodworms; but he refuses to eat anything but live. We do regular water changes & test water parameters often.
Is he blemished because of a poor diet or maybe water conditions?
Should I add a bit of salt? If so, what kind of salt do I use? Regular non-iodized table salt, marine salt or freshwater salt?
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks! ;-)

willieturnip 10-20-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yummymummy (Post 260101)
We recently bought a Clown Knife fish and I'm curious about what optimum conditions are for him. He's about 8" - 9" and currently lives in 55 gallon with a pleco (4"-5"). He's very friendly and quite active despite what some websites claim. I've done quite a bit of research online but typically come across the same websites over & over without learning anything new.
My concern is since we got him his skin doesn't look as nice. We've been feeding him a diet of live feeder fish. We've offered flaked food, pellets and frozen bloodworms; but he refuses to eat anything but live. We do regular water changes & test water parameters often.
Is he blemished because of a poor diet or maybe water conditions?
Should I add a bit of salt? If so, what kind of salt do I use? Regular non-iodized table salt, marine salt or freshwater salt?
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks! ;-)

Let him get hungry for 24 hours then try an alternative food source.

Don't add salt, ESPECIALLY NOT table salt. Dear god do NOT do that. EVER.

What do the markings/blemishes look like?

yummymummy 10-23-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willieturnip (Post 260767)
What do the markings/blemishes look like?

It's almost as if his scales have been rubbed off. I'm beginning to think that the blemishes are self-inflicted. I have a feeling he bangs himself against the decorations as he chases the feeder fish around. I have removed all the decorations and replaced them with plants.... We'll see if this helps!
Thanks!

willieturnip 10-26-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yummymummy (Post 262306)
It's almost as if his scales have been rubbed off. I'm beginning to think that the blemishes are self-inflicted. I have a feeling he bangs himself against the decorations as he chases the feeder fish around. I have removed all the decorations and replaced them with plants.... We'll see if this helps!
Thanks!

Good move, a lot of fish do exactly that. Though I can't confirm that knife fish do this, it's definitely possible.

I think knife fish like heavily planted tanks too, as it represents their natural surroundings, though again I can't confirm that.