Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Not only am I soft in the heart but also soft in the head! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/not-only-am-i-soft-heart-3082/)

Lupin 02-05-2007 06:47 PM

Not only am I soft in the heart but also soft in the head!

I'm going to have my head examined!!! I just discovered my male rummy dead.:redmad: I checked him last night at 10PM and he is ok but noticed him venturing around the bolivian ram's territory. Grrr...I'll throw out my remaining angels and bolivian ram and cancel orders to get some apistogrammas.:frustrated:

Grrr...I'll just stick to rummies, black neons, flames, diamonds, discus, blue rams, red phantoms, cories, kuhlis, more tetras blah blah...

herefishy 02-05-2007 06:53 PM

Well, Blue, sorry to here about the rummy. Didn't you check your fish compatibility chart? Cichlids are evil, wicked, mean and nasty. Even the "mellow" ones. You just need to file this experience under "I Shoulda Known".

Lupin 02-05-2007 06:58 PM

Considering my bolivian ram has been in the tank for 10 months with no history of murders, he seems to have changed. I noticed him chasing my red phantoms and then the rummy is his first victim.:sob: Last year, my blue ram which is now deceased also killed dozens of neons and rummies.:blink:

I shouldn't have allowed myself to say I pity the poor lone bolivian ram. How pathetic am I.:shake: Soft spot in the heart which is becoming my weakness too.:redmad:

Edit: 'I Should Known' is a great idea.:lol: Will start a sticky thread as this can be a thread of learning experiences.:)

herefishy 02-05-2007 07:02 PM

Maybe he needs a mate and a cave to call his own. My rams don't bother anyone. Of course, they are the runts.

Lupin 02-05-2007 07:04 PM

I bought him on my vacation in Manila last April. I think I overestimated 10 months. More like 9 months.:sarcastic: My friend refuses to order bolivians saying they're ugly.:lol: I guess he'll have to go to my pond.:brow:

P.S. Never mind that plan for a sticky. We have too many stuck-up threads already.:lol:

herefishy 02-05-2007 07:08 PM

What about using "I Should Have Known" as a catagory or subcatagory under salt- and freshwater?

Lupin 02-05-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
What about using "I Should Have Known" as a catagory or subcatagory under salt- and freshwater?

I'll ask the other mods' opinions on this although it seems that topic is beneficial to all of us.:)

baldpate 02-18-2007 10:42 AM

I had read on more than one web site that Bolivian rams are compatible with discus, neon, cardinal and glowlight tetras, cories, harlequin rasboras, etc. So I put 4 in my 44 gal tank w/ these species. I really loved the color and personality of these fish and they instantly became favorites.

The rams always chased each other around a bit, however, after about 3 months they started aggressively chasing the other species too. So, I took back 2 and all was peaceful for about a month. Then the dominant ram of the remaining 2 started nipping and driving every fish away from the front section of the tank. My 6 discus hid in the back, fearing the ram which was about 1/4 of their size. Interestingly, the other ram never chased another fish. So, I removed the dominant ram and immediately the last ram started chasing every fish in the tank!

I'm very disappointed because the Bolivians are very interesting and beautiful fish that filled a certain niche in my tank. Does anyone have advice on German blue rams or gold rams? Do you think the same process would occur with these types?

Many thanks for any advice.

musho3210 02-18-2007 10:53 AM

im pretty sure bolivian and blue rams share the same personality. My bolivians dont care about my danios, probably since they cant catch them...

Amphitrite 02-18-2007 11:42 AM

I think it's all dependant on the individual fish and a little bit of luck.

I have successfully kept blue rams in a community tank along with guppys, platys, plecos, tetras, kuhlies and corys. The rams would chase each other about a bit, particularly at feeding time - but other than that I had no problems with them at all. They never showed any interest towards any of the other fish in the tank.

The tank was quite heavily planted at the time with loads of hiding places, so perhaps that was a factor.

I've also kept gold rams in a community tank without any problems either.