Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New to the boards, new fish tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-boards-new-fish-tank-30806/)

nikiwildman 10-19-2009 09:40 AM

New to the boards, new fish tank

Hi there, i am new round here, and i have just set up a new tank, i already have 3, a small tropical tank, and breeder tank for babies, and a large cold water tank.
This is my new tank

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...wfishytank.jpg

It is still in its cycling stage. I have about an inch of gravel with about a 1cm layer of gravel (except the little hump) im gonna get more plants and a few hiding places soon as well.

Now all the fish from my trop tank will be going into this, i have a couple of guppies/platys, a betta, a couple of glass cats, now i no alot of people advise againt keeping bettas with guppies, or anything, but my betta seems very subdued and has never cause me any probablems, so hopefully he will be ok when in the larger tank too.

Im thinking of getting some Corys to help dig in the sand to stop build up of anaerobic bacteria, and maybe some khuli loaches too...but i would like some sort of center piece fish...so any fish idea at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Also, this is my fisrt sand substrate, in your experience how long would you let the tank cycle before adding in the fish?

aunt kymmie 10-19-2009 10:00 AM

Welcome to the forum, nikiwildman! Glad to have you join us.
What method are you using to cycle your tank?
What size is your new tank? I wouldn't want to make any fish centerpiece suggestions unless I knew the size of the tank. It's looking good, so far. My nephews would love your *pirate* decor. :-)

nikiwildman 10-19-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 259954)
Welcome to the forum, nikiwildman! Glad to have you join us.
What method are you using to cycle your tank?
What size is your new tank? I wouldn't want to make any fish centerpiece suggestions unless I knew the size of the tank. It's looking good, so far. My nephews would love your *pirate* decor. :-)

Ahh sorry - forgot some vitals!! haha!

Tank is a 200litre, with plans to upgrade in the next 2 years.

The pirate decor was my boyfriends thing, the deal is, i get lots of fish and fish tanks! and he gets to pick the decoration! So i will go with that seeing as i now have 5 tanks now! haha, although i do quite like the ship - its a bubbler one, and bubbles come out in 3 diff sections, at 3 diff powers! so thats cool.

nikiwildman 10-19-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikiwildman (Post 260042)
Ahh sorry - forgot some vitals!! haha!

Tank is a 200litre, with plans to upgrade in the next 2 years.

The pirate decor was my boyfriends thing, the deal is, i get lots of fish and fish tanks! and he gets to pick the decoration! So i will go with that seeing as i now have 5 tanks now! haha, although i do quite like the ship - its a bubbler one, and bubbles come out in 3 diff sections, at 3 diff powers! so thats cool.

Oops meant 4 tanks not 5, also with the cycling, i have added a few more plants tonight, and i put some filter media stuff from the other tank into this tank, literally went out of one and into the other, so never dried out. Im thinking of putting a couple of fish in on wednesday, (which would be 5 days after filling) maybe like 4/5 smaller fish - any suggestions as to what fish would be good to use for this?
I have taken some of the plants out of the other tank also and put into this one.

Heres some more updated pics.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...n/DSC00194.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...n/DSC00195.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...n/DSC00197.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...n/DSC00198.jpg

The blue part is looking pretty bare, apparently im not allowed to put any plants over on the blue bit, as apparently thats the 'sea' and plants dont grow out of the sea, they grow out of the sand' So im thinking of some sort of wood, either drift wood or a tunnel type thing - really want a little hiding place for the glass cats that i already have, and the ones i will be adding after, as i want a nice little shoal of them.

Twistersmom 10-19-2009 07:49 PM

Welcome to the forum! Your tank looks nice!
I am not good at suggesting fish, so I will leave that for others.

aunt kymmie 10-20-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikiwildman (Post 260117)
The blue part is looking pretty bare, apparently im not allowed to put any plants over on the blue bit, as apparently thats the 'sea' and plants dont grow out of the sea, they grow out of the sand' So im thinking of some sort of wood, either drift wood or a tunnel type thing - really want a little hiding place for the glass cats that i already have, and the ones i will be adding after, as i want a nice little shoal of them.

If you really wanted to plant a little something in the blue area you can always let the B/F know that any realistic sea has seaweed (floating kelp) drifting across the top of the water. LOL

As far as fish, what kinds interest you? Sometimes it makes it easier if you toss fish ideas out there and others can make comments based on your choices. I walked the isles of the LFS and scoured the internet for my selections, and then tossed the narrowed choices onto fishforum for members to comment on. HTH

Jack Middleton 10-20-2009 09:01 AM

theres no need to dig up the sand, the hydrogen sulphide that forms may be the most toxic substance on earth, but is rendered harmless when it comes into contact with oxygen, and out aquariums are fully of oxygen rich water.

the equation goes:

2H2S + 2O2 -> 2SO+2H2O

nikiwildman 10-20-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 260244)
Welcome to the forum! Your tank looks nice!
I am not good at suggesting fish, so I will leave that for others.

Thanks alot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 260525)
If you really wanted to plant a little something in the blue area you can always let the B/F know that any realistic sea has seaweed (floating kelp) drifting across the top of the water. LOL

Yep, told him that! But he is adament that he doesnt want plants there! :roll: :roll:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 260525)
As far as fish, what kinds interest you? Sometimes it makes it easier if you toss fish ideas out there and others can make comments based on your choices. I walked the isles of the LFS and scoured the internet for my selections, and then tossed the narrowed choices onto fishforum for members to comment on. HTH

See thats the thing! i have no idea! I just want pretty/cool/interesting fish that get along with the fish i already have...but non smaller than the guppies i already have! I definitly want a few more Glass Cats, i have 4 just now, so im think maybe get another 3/4 for a nice little shoal of them.

I have a few Livebearers, so i will maybe get 1 or 2 more platys. I deff want a few corys as i like the look of them and have never kept these before and from the research i have done these are quite interesting fish to watch! So if anyone knows a particulay 'fun cory' or give me example of corys they personally like, that would be great!

My boyfriend really wants to get an Angel...i have told him no! As from the research i have done it would cause troubles with my guppies - unless anyone can tell me otherwise! Or suggest a dwarf angel that may get along! But at the moment, the angel is a no.

He also wants clown loachs...again i have said no as they grow too big, i know they are slow growers, but i have told him that unless in the next few years we upgrade to a 400/500 litres tank,(which i would love too, but at the moment dont have room) or are prepared to give the clown loach away, then that also isnt happening!

So i am really stuck for ideas at the moment. There are sooo many fish i would love, but non compatible with each other, or my fish so they are out of the question! I would just love anything that is weird an wonderful! We are off to the pet shop at the weekend, so i can hopefully get a few ideas from that! (i feel like i spend my life there!!)

MOA 10-20-2009 09:15 AM

Hello,

If you haven't added fish yet, please be sure to actually test your water. Yes, adding bacteria via used media helps a lot, but it does not guarantee that the tank is cycled. If you have not been adding an ammonia source to keep the beneficial bacteria alive, then most of the bacteria you added may have died.

As to possible fish combinations, you have tons of options, but I am never a fan of "centerpiece" fish as most smaller fish do not fish this typecast easily. That is, most of the smaller fish (ones that would get along with your other fish) are either shoaling (needing at least 5-6 companions) or colonizers (4+ fish and lots of decor). Thus, if you were to get one "show" fish, then it would probably wane pretty quickly. Nonetheless, if you are dead set on getting that one fish (though I think the betta works just fine), then you might consider a sailfin molly (the white ones are pretty stunning), a ram cichlid, or maybe something a little odd like a peacock eel (provided your platies are on the larger side).

Check out my sig for more info if you want it.

MOA

nikiwildman 10-20-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOA (Post 260532)
Hello,

If you haven't added fish yet, please be sure to actually test your water. Yes, adding bacteria via used media helps a lot, but it does not guarantee that the tank is cycled. If you have not been adding an ammonia source to keep the beneficial bacteria alive, then most of the bacteria you added may have died.

As to possible fish combinations, you have tons of options, but I am never a fan of "centerpiece" fish as most smaller fish do not fish this typecast easily. That is, most of the smaller fish (ones that would get along with your other fish) are either shoaling (needing at least 5-6 companions) or colonizers (4+ fish and lots of decor). Thus, if you were to get one "show" fish, then it would probably wane pretty quickly. Nonetheless, if you are dead set on getting that one fish (though I think the betta works just fine), then you might consider a sailfin molly (the white ones are pretty stunning), a ram cichlid, or maybe something a little odd like a peacock eel (provided your platies are on the larger side).

Check out my sig for more info if you want it.

MOA

Ohh yes, will definitly test my water, alway test it before adding any fish anyway!

Im not even that bothered if it is a 'centerpiece fish' on its own, even like a centerpiece fish...plural! I do think peacock eels are beautiful, but i was worried they wouldnt get along with my other fish! So i may have a little look into them and see what i think about that. TBH i feel really stuck about what i actually want to get!! There are so mannnny possible combinations! I just have no idea what way to go!!

ps aunt kymmie, love the picture of the bird in you avatar, i believe that is an Amazon isnt it? im a bird person as much as i am a fish person! My friends say its like Ace ventures house with all the fish and bird we have!