Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   New SW tank setup with old water. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/new-sw-tank-setup-old-water-30763/)

AYE RUSS 10-18-2009 12:27 PM

New SW tank setup with old water.

Hey guys

So heres my current situation, so i just recently broke down my 40 gl tall aquarium and got it all cleaned out and ready for my saltwater setup. Now a friend of my mine also has a 40gl setup thats currently running right now with about 30lb of live rock and sand and fish and inverts as well. Hes also at the same time going to break his tank down and willing to give me all his live rock and sand.

Now my main question is do you guys think that its ok for me to transfer his live rock and sand into my empty tank along with the water hes running right now to help cycle my tank faster?? His setup has been running for 3 yrs and very well fully established. He does not live very far maybe a few blocks so transfering these guys wouldnt take to long.

molliefan09 10-18-2009 12:36 PM

from what i have read the water maynot help it cycle faster but the live rock and sand from an established tank will def. help the process along

onefish2fish 10-18-2009 02:35 PM

your going to def. have to rinse the sand. prior to rinsing take a small cup full of sand and put it to the side. rinse the sand as best as possible and put it into your tank with the rock and water. then put the cup of sand that you didnt rinse in to help seed the sand.
welcome to the forum.

Pasfur 10-18-2009 02:44 PM

I am nodding my head this entire thread. Yes, yes, and yes.

AYE RUSS 10-18-2009 03:45 PM

How long do you think it will take to cycle using all the live rock and live sand that hes had along with the water

Pasfur 10-18-2009 05:23 PM

There will probably be no cycling time at all, in terms of ammonia and nitrite reduction. At worse you are looking at a few days. However, the aquarium will still need time to mature after the move before you begin adding fish and other sensitive livestock.

AYE RUSS 10-18-2009 05:24 PM

so you're saying maybe a full week should be good? before adding my first fish or shrimp?

Pasfur 10-18-2009 05:56 PM

I would test for ammonia and nitrite for a week or so, just to be safe. Then monitor pH, alkalinity, and calcium. You will most likely see a small diatom bloom after a week or two. When this diatom goes away, coraline algae will begin to spread. This is your best sign of a mature system.

Another factor that is important is the development of copepods and amphipods within the sand bed. I highly recommend that you avoid any livestock that preys on these critters for the first several months.

All of your fish purchases should be placed into quarantine for 2 to 3 weeks minimum before adding them to the display. Your display will be ready for fish by then.