Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   is this too overstocked? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/too-overstocked-307514/)

OrangeAugust 11-22-2013 10:38 PM

is this too overstocked?

I have a 55 gal NPT and I'm totally redoing it. So I have to put my fish in temporary tanks. Without totally thinking it through, I put 6 neon tetras in my 10 gallon tank with 8 female bettas. I was just planning on it for 24 hours at the most, but now I'm thinking about moving them back out and it seems like it would be a huge hassle because the tank is super-heavily planted. There's no way for me to catch them with a net without taking everything out... I know this is a little over stocked for a 10 gallon, but is it really TOO overstocked? Do I have to move the 6 neons back to the 55 gal when it's finished?
Thanks!

Gilljay 11-23-2013 04:35 AM

Try a bottle trap

Hello,
I too have a super- planted tank and had to remove some Copper Tetra. I discovered this method which made life so much easier than racing around with a net.
Take a soda bottle, cut the top off at what would be called the shoulders and then turn the top back so it fits inside the main bottle part. It should jam in slightly but not so tight it isn't easy to get off. I then cut a slit in the side and, using my lockable pincers - one part inside and the other outside - I grasped the bottle and immersed it in the tank.
You can then, using the net, gently shepherd the fish in towards the opening and once inside they can't get out.
Plants stay intact and it meant the whole exercise was stress free.
If any fish stray in by accident it's just a matter of removing the top and letting them back out.
Please let me know if you try it and how you got on.:-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeAugust (Post 3459650)
I have a 55 gal NPT and I'm totally redoing it. So I have to put my fish in temporary tanks. Without totally thinking it through, I put 6 neon tetras in my 10 gallon tank with 8 female bettas. I was just planning on it for 24 hours at the most, but now I'm thinking about moving them back out and it seems like it would be a huge hassle because the tank is super-heavily planted. There's no way for me to catch them with a net without taking everything out... I know this is a little over stocked for a 10 gallon, but is it really TOO overstocked? Do I have to move the 6 neons back to the 55 gal when it's finished?
Thanks!

Flint 11-23-2013 05:09 AM

If you want to keep them in there I don't forsee it being an issue. They have a pretty small bioload. I would just watch your ammonia. (:

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

henningc 11-27-2013 12:02 AM

As long as you monitor the water quality you should be good to go. I would see if I couldn't pick off about half the bettas at feeding time. Their pigs and will surface.

I have several tanks that would technically be over stocked. They are observed daily, get no less than 10% water change weekly and I have the carbon ready in case it is needed. Most of mine are 20L and I use a sponge filter rated at 80-100gal in each. I really almost never have any issues and the fish seem to thrive better with the sponge filter. Just make sure to check the bioload of the fish you are housing. That is the real deal maker or breaker.

ao 11-27-2013 12:28 AM

do your fish flock over for feedings? if so my favorite method is to open up a gallon zip lock bag under water with the zip side vertically half in and half out of the water. Then sprinkle food like you would normally do in the water surrounded by the bag. with some patience your fish will be caught before they knew what hit them. because the bag is pretty much invisible the fish wont be conditioned into thinking that it is a threat every time it enters the tank. goodluck!

Sent from Petguide.com App

OrangeAugust 11-27-2013 08:05 AM

Cool. Thanks, everyone!