Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   questions about my pleco (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/questions-about-my-pleco-30751/)

molliefan09 10-18-2009 08:09 AM

questions about my pleco
 
i have what i suspect to be a common pleco. I know he will eventually out grow my current aquairum. a this time he only about 3-4 inches. I feel bad for him but im not sure if i should try to rehome him now or wait till he gets bigger....my next question is what sort of similar fish could i get that wont out grow my tank. Ive heard a lot of people talking about ottos but it kinda scares me knowing that their main food source is the algea on my tank itself. from what i can actually see there isnt much if any at all. :cry:

NC Frank 10-18-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molliefan09 (Post 259350)
i have what i suspect to be a common pleco. I know he will eventually out grow my current aquairum. a this time he only about 3-4 inches. I feel bad for him but im not sure if i should try to rehome him now or wait till he gets bigger....my next question is what sort of similar fish could i get that wont out grow my tank. Ive heard a lot of people talking about ottos but it kinda scares me knowing that their main food source is the algea on my tank itself. from what i can actually see there isnt much if any at all. :cry:

Ottos can thrive in an aquarium that has little visible algae. Ottos easily learn to feed from algae wafers and certain veggies. I have 4 in my planted tank with very little visible algae and they are doing fine. They are constant grazers though.

There are smaller plecos out there that would work in most tanks. Bristlenose plecos are very attractive and usually stay between 3" and 4"

1077 10-18-2009 09:19 AM

I don't agree that otocinclus can ,or do,easily adapt to other foods in the absence of algae. Some will some won't.
Do agree that bristlenose would be better option for 20 gal .

molliefan09 10-18-2009 09:49 AM

thanks for the info...ill do some research on the bristlenose and see if i cant rehome my otherone

Jack Middleton 10-18-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 259370)
I don't agree that otocinclus can ,or do,easily adapt to other foods in the absence of algae. Some will some won't.
.

I could not agree more!

if you cant provide the right food for ottos, then cross them of ya' list

molliefan09 10-18-2009 11:04 AM

yeah, like i said ive heard that unless you have sufficient algea in the aquarium they are not recommended...i just wasnt sure because i can see it i wasnt sure if it was there or not....i dont want to put any fish in a postion to not succeed

molliefan09 10-18-2009 11:50 AM

i did some research on the bristle nose pleco and it says to suppliment with veggies.....i have snail jello that twistersmom gave me the recipe for. its made with sweetpotato baby food...is this something that could be given to the bristlenose?? By the way thanks twistermom my snail LOVES it!!

NC Frank 10-18-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molliefan09 (Post 259447)
i did some research on the bristle nose pleco and it says to suppliment with veggies.....i have snail jello that twistersmom gave me the recipe for. its made with sweetpotato baby food...is this something that could be given to the bristlenose?? By the way thanks twistermom my snail LOVES it!!

It is always good to supplement... eventually you may not be generating enough algae for your tanks to maintain a school of otos or for other types that feed primarily on algae.

Others are correct... my statement that otos easily take algae wafers and veggies should have read they can take algae wafers and in my experience it is easy to get them to accept veggies. Some otos will never touch algae wafers (though I have been lucky). In my experience it is pretty easy to get them to take veggies.

molliefan09 10-18-2009 12:12 PM

NC i was thinking i would steer clear of ottos untill my tank was a little more established and maybe even untill i up grade to a larger aquarium....but i am VERY intrested in the bristlenose

NC Frank 10-18-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molliefan09 (Post 259457)
NC i was thinking i would steer clear of ottos untill my tank was a little more established and maybe even untill i up grade to a larger aquarium....but i am VERY intrested in the bristlenose

Otos need established tanks... absolutely. They are pretty sensitive to the water conditions around them. I love bristlenose plecos :) They also come in longfin and albino varieties.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2