Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - Tiger Oscan Won't Eat (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/tiger-oscan-wont-eat-3075/)
Tiger Oscan Won't Eat
A few days ago my Tiger Oscar stopped eating. It is acting normal, moving around, gets excited when I walk to the tank,..etc. But when I put the food in it will either just ignore it or put it in its mouth and just spit it out. I tried switching foods, but got the same results. I have a Red Oscar in the same tank and that fish seems fine. Any ideas?? Thanks.
Pls try to answer the follwoing questions so we can help you further. Any more details will be helpful.:)
1. Size of Aquarium (# of gallons)
2. Is your Aquarium set up freshwater or saltwater?
3. How long the Aquarium has been setup
4. What fish and how many are in the Aquarium (species are important to know)
5. Are there live plants in the Aquarium?
6. What make/model filter are you using?
7. Are you using a CO2 unit?
8. Does your Aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day?
9. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?
10.How often and what foods do you feed your fish?
11.Is your Aquarium light incandescent or fluorescent and how often is it kept on?
12.What specific concerns bring you here at this time?
13. Water are your water test results for:
pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
Starve him for 3-4 days then see what happens, If you have ever got drunk and had a kebab you'll know the effect. :D
Here are the answers to your questions as best I can..I have a 30 gal. fresh water aquarium. This aquarium has been set up for 8 months, but I have had these fish for about 2 years. I have 1 tiger oscar and 1 red oscar in the tank. There are no live plants and no direst sunlight. I changed 50% of the water 2-3 weeks ago. I feed them 2x's a day. The light is on 8 hours a day. The Ph level is 7.
ps. someone told me the tiger oscar may not be eating because he no longer likes the food. I tried a couple differnt kinds. Any particularl kind/type you reccomend??
How big are these oscars? This could be an issue of stress caused by overcrowding as adult oscars need much more than 30 gallon tank to share.
this doesnt seem good. Possibly the reason why he is not eating is since he is very cramped in 30 gallons, an oscar will need at least a 75 gallon with at least double the filtration, 30 gallons is ok to grow the oscar but it will never fit one oscar let alone two. IMO set up a new tank for it IMMEDIATLY
They are both about 6-7 inches. Is that too big for a 30 gal. tank? Thanks for the info and the help.
yes, they are heavy waste producers and they like a large area, plus they can grow to about, i think a foot and a half
oscar with that size does not need lots of food
do not feed them more than once a day.
they need food once in two days.
try to give them some live foods after 3 days
then begin to give them food once each two days
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.