Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Lighting 2 foot deep tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/lighting-2-foot-deep-tank-30663/)

willieturnip 10-16-2009 11:59 AM

Lighting 2 foot deep tank?

I searched and couldn't find anything.

I've been offered a 5x2x2 for 100 (which is an absolute bargain to all you yanks)!

There's only one thing holding me back.

How on earth do you get enough light for a planted tank down that deep?! I'm only interested in some easy to grow plants, but even still I'm assuming the lighting will be a problem?

I'm looking at the Hagen Glo double 54W fixtures. A pair of those (4x54W t5's total) should do it shouldn't it? Could I even get away with a single (2x54W)?

Jack Middleton 10-16-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willieturnip (Post 258432)
I searched and couldn't find anything.

I've been offered a 5x2x2 for 100 (which is an absolute bargain to all you yanks)!

There's only one thing holding me back.

How on earth do you get enough light for a planted tank down that deep?! I'm only interested in some easy to grow plants, but even still I'm assuming the lighting will be a problem?

I'm looking at the Hagen Glo double 54W fixtures. A pair of those (4x54W t5's total) should do it shouldn't it? Could I even get away with a single (2x54W)?

2*T8 bulbs running the length of the tank with decent reflectors, will keep things low tech, you shouldnt need to dose ferts or CO2 but it will help things along

willieturnip 10-17-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Middleton (Post 258452)
2*T8 bulbs running the length of the tank with decent reflectors, will keep things low tech, you shouldnt need to dose ferts or CO2 but it will help things along

Is that all? Thought it would be harder (not to mention more expensive!) than that. :-D

MoneyMitch 10-17-2009 10:25 PM

check the link in my sig about lighting, great article pat attention to what tom barr says especially

willieturnip 10-18-2009 01:47 PM

I can't find any link in your sig regarding lighting? =/

MoneyMitch 10-18-2009 07:42 PM

sorry changed it do to linking issues, basically in short kelven doesnt play as big a role as the boxes of most aquarium lights say it does. yes it is somewhat a factor but not as big of one. plants are sensitive to red and blue wavelength but are able to adapt to anything. so in short look for something that will give you atleast 1 watt pergallon any fixture/tube that can help you achive this will work for most low light plants. with as deep as your tank is you might be able to get some of those spotlight type bulbs that people use to light outside of their garage, house or whatever and just get some clam light fixtures that people use for their desktops and you will definately be set. you will have more than enough wattage and certainly enough light intensity.

willieturnip 10-18-2009 07:58 PM

Doesn't sound too hard to manage. Thanks for the info.