Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   nitrAte on the rise (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/nitrate-rise-30661/)

molliefan09 10-16-2009 11:22 AM

nitrAte on the rise

so i purchased my own API master testkit last sunday and have been loving being able to do my own testing at home!! in a previous thread (ammonia in tap water) i disscussed my issue with 0.25ppm ammonia in my tank...but now over the last 5 days my nitrAtes have gone up from5.0ppm to now 80ppm...here are my last 5 days of test results:

10/11
ph 7.6
ammonia 0ppm
nitrIte 1.0ppm
nitrAte 5.0ppm

10/12
ph 7.6
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 2.0ppm
nitrate 5.0ppm

10/13
ph 7.6
ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrite 1.0ppm
nitrate 5.0ppm

10/14
ph 7.6
ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrite 1.0ppm
nitrate 10ppm

10/15
ph 7.6
ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrite 1.0ppm
nitrate 10ppm

today
ph 7.6
ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrite 2.0ppm
nitrate 80ppm!!!

this is a fairly new tank, set up for only a month...per my lfs (no longer use them) i added 2 mollies within 24 hours of tank set up....up untill 10/14 i had been using stresscoat+ at a water conditioner. both mollies have made it with the exception of a crab attack(no longer have it) andnow as you see in my signature the fish i have currently. all fish are happy and seemingly healthy. i made the switch to PRIME a couple days ago..PWC daily with the exception of yesterday. i also used Tetra safestart to seed my tank....?????

Jack Middleton 10-16-2009 12:52 PM

80ppm is fairly weak, nitrate is only dangerous when you get into the 400+PPM range

Just keep on top of water changes and try and keep it bellow 50, if your in the UK your nitrates in the tap water wont be any higher than 50, take you tap water reading and add 20, this is your target to get it below, if it goes slightly above dont worry, it will not cause any harm, just perform a water change

Fishin Pole 10-16-2009 03:51 PM

sounds like your on the last leg of the your tank cycle with the nitrates rising.............Doing your daily water changes will continue to get your water in the correct parameters you want.........I wouldnt be real concrened about your nitrite or ammonia at the current time, since you have been doing daily water changes with "Prime".......Good stuff, detoxes ammonia and nitrites so the effects on your fish is minimal, but continuing with water changes will help naturally rid your tank of them.........Good luck and keep us posted!

molliefan09 10-16-2009 06:11 PM

thank you both for the advise, i was a little worried at first!! ill keep up with the water changes and hopefully it will all work out....ill keep you all posted...and im not in the UK Jack Middleton although i would like to visit there someday...imin Florida:)

Byron 10-17-2009 06:34 PM

One suggestion, you are using the API test kit and they are good kits. However, the Nitrate kit can give false (high) readings. The instructions on Regeant #2 are to shake it 30 seconds, and they warn that the results may be affected if not shaken enough. I learned in another forum that it should actually be shaken for 2+ minutes to give an accurate test result, and members there noted that shaking it 30 seconds gave false high readings for nitrate. Maybe try that in a new test and see.

As FP said, your cycling seems normal, and the daily pwc will handle this. Nitrates do usually rise at the third stage of the nitrification cycle, kept in check with the pwc, and then as the biological equilibrium is established they will be lower. In a thickly planted tank this does not occur, ammonia and nitrite will never rise to testable amounts above zero because the plants (when there are enough of them)consumemost ofthe ammonia/ammonium, and nitrates will be low from the start. But without plants, you are on the 2 to 8 week cycling plan;-) and this is par for the course. I wouldn't add any more fish until the cycle is completed.

Byron.

molliefan09 10-17-2009 08:35 PM

thanks byron for your advice.....i also heard that in another forum (maybe even one of my threads) about shaking it for 2+ rather then just the 30 secs as it says in the book.....i honeslty never really keep track of the time i shake bottle #2....i guess i really should....i skipped testing today but did do a PWC.....