Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   3 females dying (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/3-females-dying-30596/)

otgarza 10-15-2009 01:13 PM

3 females dying

I jus started my 10 gal about three or four weeks ago and I started off by putting 2 male and 3 female neon gold mickey mouse platies in it. One of the females died about half a week later. The second died a day after the first and the third jus recently died about a week ago. Anybody have any idea why?

aunt kymmie 10-15-2009 01:22 PM

Are you able to post your current water parameters??
How often are you performing water changes and at what amount?
What type of water conditioner are you using?
Any live plants in this tank?
At what temp do you keep the tank?
Off the top of my head I'd be inclined to say that perhaps the tank isn't fully cycled and that your fish had succumbed to ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

PS. Welcome to the forum :)

otgarza 10-15-2009 01:29 PM

I don't have a test kit and I'm kind of disappointed cuz of that. Im hoping that I could get it tested this week. There are no live plants in the tank and the temperature is usually between 76 and 78.

aunt kymmie 10-15-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 257820)
How often are you performing water changes and at what amount?
What type of water conditioner are you using?

Without knowing the water parameters it's difficult to say what it could be but I'm going with my original guess of ammonia/nitrite poisoning. Let us know what the results are when you get your water tested. An API freshwater testing kit is an invaluable tool to have. You might want to consider getting one??

otgarza 10-15-2009 01:48 PM

...Oh and I perform water changes every 10 days while I use the aquasafe with bio extract.

Could it have been that I used tap water? When the last female died I had just added three painted platies...since then I use filtered water and also add aquarium salt to the tank. None of my fishies have died since or even started to act weird.

otgarza 10-15-2009 01:52 PM

Thanks for the welcome too

Oldman47 10-17-2009 07:55 PM

You need to do at least a daily change of half the water, using whatever dechlorinator you have to treat the new water. The tank has not yet cycled and probably won't for at least another 2 weeks. Until it gets cycled, you will either do the large water changes daily or will continue to lose fish. In order to cut back on the water changes, you will need to test for both nitrites and ammonia and get a solid zero reading. After that you test daily for a week and any time you see either chemical show up you do another 50% water change. If you go a full week without seeing any ammonia or nitrites, it will be safe to go back to weekly 30% water changes.
You test for ammonia and nitrites using the liquid type test kits, the ones with the little test tubes.