Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Stocking my 29G

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  SophieThomas 
#1 ·
Currently I have 8 Zebra Danios, 1 pleco, and 3 tetras in my tank. Long term I would like to create an all asian tank consisting of the following:

12 Zebra Danios (in place of White Clouds)
3 Yo-Yo Loaches (along with my pleco which will be traded out as it gets too big)
6 Rosy Barbs
2 Blue Gouramis

Any opinions on whether this is a suitable combination of fish?? Also, would it be okay to have white clouds along with my danions? I like both species but I certainly don't want to trade in my danions for the white clouds.

#2 ·
30" x 12" footprint? Yo-Yos can get pretty big. Kuhli loaches might be a better fit, maybe 4-6 of them. And only do 1 Blue Gourami in a 29 gallon. They get too territorial with eachother.

#3 ·
30" x 12" footprint? Yo-Yos can get pretty big. Kuhli loaches might be a better fit, maybe 4-6 of them. And only do 1 Blue Gourami in a 29 gallon. They get too territorial with eachother.
Yes it is a 30"x12". Eel shaped fish really don't appeal to me so I don't want to replace Yo-Yos with Khuli's although I certainly understand the reasons for not putting Yo-Yos in a 29G tank. I have read that two compatible Gourami's are okay. I suppose that is impossible to know until they are home though, eh? (First aquarium so forgive the silly questions, lol)

#4 ·
LOL. I know what you mean. Kuhlis always remind me of worms. If you can find them, Sidthimunki (Dwarf Chain Loach) are a beautiful loach and only get to about 2-2.5". But they may be hard to find. Botia Striata also stay a little smaller than Yo-Yos.

#5 ·
The Dwarf Chain Loach is a beautiful little thing :) The Zebra Loach is one that I have looked at a few times and was on my list of maybes.

Perhaps you or someone else could clarify with me the actualy mature size of the Yo-Yo. I have read on the internet that they can mature up to 6" which is a little big for a 29G but I read in a book by David Boruchowitz (editor-in-chief of Tropical Fish Hobbyist and author for Animal Planet) that the Yo-Yo matures at 4" which is the same size as the Zebra Loach. I suppose much of this would depend on the conditions of the tank though?

I do want to have my first community tank to consist of very peaceful fish and I have recently read an article that said the Yo-Yo could be very aggressive and attack tank mates. I noticed that the Bristlenose Cat (Pleco) would be an excellent option as they stay under 6" and are very peaceful. Also, the bronze or green Cory Cat was brought to my attention in the same book as a "comical and lively" fish that tend to leave tank mates alone. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help by the way :)

#6 ·
I keep 6 peppered corydora in my 10 gal. They are very lively. shy at first but very fun. They do need a sand substrate because gravel wrecks their barbels. You would be looking into a group of atleast 6 because they are a shoaling fish. I would stay away from the green or emerald ones because a group out there is not a true cory and gets bigger than the normal ones.

#7 ·
A Bristlenose Pleco would be great in your tank. I have one in my 37 gallon which is basically the same footprint as a 29 but taller. Cories are great also. They are peaceful and fun to watch when in a proper group. Both the BN and cories are South American so would not really fit into your Asian theme if that's what you were aiming for. Bronze cories (Corydoras Aenus) are sometimes called green cories but there is another fish sometimes also referred to as green cory which is Brochis Splendens and these do grow larger than the Corydoras species. There are lots of other types of cories so you can decide on one type and get 6 to make a proper group. Just do a little research on them once you see what's available in your area. Sterbai, Schwartzi and Trilineatus are some of my favorites.

#8 ·
Although I would reallt like an Asian tank (and will continue to pursue it) my priority is a well-balanced tank. I'll certainly do some more research on appropriate species and see what matches the tank. I definitely would like an Asian tank though so hopefully it works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.