Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   so much growth! warning pic heavy! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/so-much-growth-warning-pic-heavy-30567/)

teddyzaper 10-14-2009 09:49 PM

so much growth! warning pic heavy!

11 Attachment(s)
a beutiful pic of 2 of my snails
Attachment 4643
beutiful pic of one of my shrimp (my screensaver)
Attachment 4644
my baby tears on driftwood
Attachment 4645
bubbling contortion val
Attachment 4646
small school of rummy nose tetras
Attachment 4647
had to add this cute lil guy eating from my hand with babies around him
Attachment 4648
my shrimp. it looks like he has algea is he just shedding?
Attachment 4650
my attempt to photograph this snail ended with this friendly guy
Attachment 4651
my snails had a lot of eggs! and micro sword next to it
Attachment 4649
my snail on driftwood
Attachment 4652
my onion plant with contortion val runners all around it
Attachment 4653
now lets see if this attachment to yourube works
YouTube - eating from hand and babie convicts!
YouTube - planted tank
there is my tank! the babie wth convict is my 30 gal... jsut read disctriptions :P

MoneyMitch 10-15-2009 12:04 AM

just curious what lighting do you have and what fert? i heard baby tears were hard to take care of.

teddyzaper 10-15-2009 12:39 AM

i use a mixture of aquariumplants fert and something else i cant remember. i have a 65watt buld. they are hard to take care of :P

MoneyMitch 10-15-2009 12:40 AM

65 watt standard house bulb or????

teddyzaper 10-15-2009 05:51 PM

aquarium plant buld, i know its a lot but no algea so far so its good. and the plants love it

MoneyMitch 10-15-2009 06:04 PM

definitely looks like they love it! im just asking because im getting ready to upgrade my lighting soon which will bump me hopefully to atleast 2-3 watts per gallon which will let me get some moderte light plants which i think baby tears fall under. is it like a florurecent a compact or a incadecent? and what is the name brand of the light so i can find one for myself~ :D

baron von bubba 10-16-2009 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 257995)
definitely looks like they love it! im just asking because im getting ready to upgrade my lighting soon which will bump me hopefully to atleast 2-3 watts per gallon which will let me get some moderte light plants which i think baby tears fall under. is it like a florurecent a compact or a incadecent? and what is the name brand of the light so i can find one for myself~ :D

the addition of CO2 is far more important then the power of the bulb, with around 2watts per gallon and CO2 injection you will be able to grow pretty much anything.

if you just up the power and add no extra CO2 or "liquid carbon" then you will probably just grow lots of algae.

baron von bubba 10-16-2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddyzaper (Post 257984)
aquarium plant buld, i know its a lot but no algea so far so its good. and the plants love it

dude, is there not algae in some of the above pics?

hair/fuzz algae is caused by CO2 levels that are too low for the power of the bulb and or LOW nutrient levels.

teddyzaper 10-16-2009 02:15 PM

there is a TINY bit on a small peice of driftwood and that is it. no algea anywhere else. i think its the wood but im not shure

Twistersmom 10-16-2009 07:48 PM

Very nice pictures! Thanks for sharing!
I have a little algae in all my tanks. Makes a great treat for a lot of different fish, shrimp, and snails!