Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking a 10G Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-10g-tank-30542/)

Divisible by Waffle 10-14-2009 02:34 PM

Stocking a 10G Tank

Hi! I'm looking deeper into possibilities for my dorm fishtank, and the main crux of the issue at the moment is what I'll be stocking it with. What I'd really like are 4 female bettas, 2 African dwarf frogs, 2 Otocinclus catfish (probably either affinis or vittatus), and some ghost/cherry shrimp. Am I running the risk of overstocking my tank? Would I be better off with a single male betta instead of trying a sorority?

MoneyMitch 10-14-2009 02:49 PM

with such a small tank your looking at 5 fish MAX or your gunna run into problems. Sorry

Calmwaters 10-14-2009 03:33 PM

I would leave out the frogs and Otos and just do 5 female bettas. I have 6 in a 10 gallon but that is the very most you should have and you will need to be sure to keep an eye on your water test and always do your weekly water changes.

Divisible by Waffle 10-14-2009 04:40 PM

What if I had a single male betta?

Rohland 10-14-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divisible by Waffle (Post 257363)
What if I had a single male betta?

sometimes males dont get along with other things in their tank though. you would have to be careful.

MoneyMitch 10-14-2009 11:12 PM

to find more on male betta compatibility you should try the beta section of the forum you would get lots more in depth info there.

Jack Middleton 10-15-2009 04:34 AM

A male betta would be fine in a 10 gallon, you could even add a few shrimp on there too, depending on your bettas personality. it may or may not take a like to them.

Otherwise a shoal of 10-15 ember tetras would be a nice addition. Or a Pair of Sparkling Gouramis and a shoal of 10 ember tetras would set things off nicely, especially in a black water set up

Calmwaters 10-15-2009 08:56 AM

Depending on your male bettas personality you may or may not be able to put other fish in the tank with him. I currently have a male betta in a 10 gallon with 4 Glofish, an Oto, a male Fancy tail guppy and they have no problems, but a friend of mine has a 20 gallon in which he had a male betta, 4 neon tetra, 3 glass fish, and 4 platys and the betta attacked the neons and playts and killed them. You could also put a divideror 2 in the tank and have 2 or 3 male bettas.

Divisible by Waffle 10-15-2009 10:04 AM

Would the ADFs get along with tetras, or would such tiny fish be eaten?

Calmwaters 10-15-2009 01:09 PM

If you get true ADFs not the African Clawed Frog they will be to small to eat the tetras. Here is a link that may help you make sure you get the right one.
Extensive African Dwarf Frog Article - Revised - Aquaria Central