Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - I cant get rid of fungus!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/i-cant-get-rid-fungus-30533/)
I cant get rid of fungus!!!
So about 2 weeks ago I noticed one of my bosemani rainbows had white tufts of fungus on its lip. Then a couple days later one of my rummy nose has it on its fin. I went through a whole bottle of pimafix and its still there. It's driving me crazy. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I don't know what to do.:-(
Try some extra water changes. That always seemed to clear my Boes up. They like really clean water.
Water parameters are good? What does this mean? You will need to answer the questions at the tropical fish diseases section you posted under where it says.. Please read Before Posting.
These questions are designed to help those who could possibly help you.
Try daily water changes for a while.
Sometimes daily water changes can do wonders. Unfortunately, my boes came down with a very bad case. I had to make a switch to Maracyn and Maracyn-Two for treatment and I see some improvement.
Also, it is probable a bacterial infection and not a fungus.
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 55
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? freshwater
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? a little over a year
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) 4x bosemani rainbows, 7x rummynose tetra, 1x signifer rainbow, 1x whiptail pleco and 1x candy striped pleco.
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? yes
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 76F
7. What make/model filter are you using?Emporer 400, aqueon 55, and powerhead with sponge.
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? no
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? a little in the morning
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? every thursday 40-50%
11. How often do you perform water changes? weekly
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? twice daily. flakes and frozen foods.
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on?2x 15 watt Flora Sun flourescents. 12 hours.
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? white fungus looking stuff on mouth of bosemani and on fin of rummynose.
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. ph-6.8, am- 0, nitrite-0, nitrate- 10
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? API liquid.
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank?oh i dont know maybe 3 months ago, seemed good, active healthy looking, still have this fish.
Try Maracyn/Maracyn 2 treatment or try Furan 2. I've used Furan 2 before and that cleared up my Boes but it can be stubborn. As Twistermom said most of what we think is fungal is actually bacterial. The Boes seem to be rather susceptible to this "white lip".
I'm curious what study was it that said frequent water changes were worse than weekly? I think an extra water change or 2 per week to clear this up would really help, but that's just me.
Yupp looks bacterial. I know true fungus and columnaris are hard to distinguish, but for future reference, always treat for columnaris first: It's ten times more common than true fungus and kills way quicker. If you treat 'white fuzz' with an antibiotic, and it doesn't work then you can rule out columnaris and treat with a fungicide. But if you do the reverse, by the time you rule fungus out your fish may already be dead!
You will also want to keep your water quite clean but don't crank the heat like you would with, say, a parasite because it will only encourage bacterial growth.
The Maracyn/Maracyn 2 combo should totally knock 'em dead. Definitely a safe route to go with columnaris!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.