Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   new Plant ideas please? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/new-plant-ideas-please-30532/)

Blaxicanlatino 10-14-2009 11:35 AM

new Plant ideas please?

Im changing the look of my 10 gallon tank. if you look at my aaquarium pics. Im getting rid of the red ludwigia becaue they keep getting ugly green spots no matter what i do. and im moving the hygrophilia to the back left side. Im thinking about takin out the moneywort also and replacing it with the red ludwigia. What should i put in back right side of the tank? its 25 watts in the 10 gallon tank.

Jack Middleton 10-14-2009 11:43 AM

The green spot algae will be a lack of phosphate, if you're in the UK I would buy TPN+ and dose 1.5ml a day and perform 50% water changes weekly.

Are you injecting CO2? With 2.5 WPG i would be dosing CO2, if you can i would also cut the light down to 15-20 watts, All plants can be grown at 1.5 WPG as long as CO2 and ferts are up to scratch.

Most red plants lack chlorophyll which is normally why they like lots of iron, magnesium and light! as well as the usual CO2 and NPK nutrients, and the traces also.

all Algae problems will come down to a lack in nutrients (NPK+traces), lack of CO2, lack of water movement or high levels of base line ammonia (common in new tanks)

Blaxicanlatino 10-14-2009 11:47 AM

hmmm. so more co2 huh? i had a co2 injection but...
ok i know what i need to do. but the water wisteria looks so messy in the middle. maybe i can rearange the plants so that the red ludwigia is by the filter on the back right side, then the water wisertia on the back left/?

Jack Middleton 10-14-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino (Post 257206)
hmmm. so more co2 huh? i had a co2 injection but...
ok i know what i need to do. but the water wisteria looks so messy in the middle. maybe i can rearange the plants so that the red ludwigia is by the filter on the back right side, then the water wisertia on the back left/?

Are you using a drop checker to check CO2 levels?

If i were you i would use the redder plants as focal points, placed a 3rd in from either side, and then arrange the other plants around the focal point.

Have a play around with your plants, trim off any dying leaves/roots and then replant.

Blaxicanlatino 10-14-2009 11:53 AM

so gimme a clue to how this would work. the biggest plants i have are red ludwigia in the back left, water wisteria in the middle back. and moneywort on the back right near the filter exit (where that water fall comes out). how should i adjust this? the red ludwiia are getting a nice red color at the top, but the bases keep dying and the leaves on the bottom fall off often, and the middle leaves get green blotched spots

Jack Middleton 10-14-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino (Post 257210)
so gimme a clue to how this would work. the biggest plants i have are red ludwigia in the back left, water wisteria in the middle back. and moneywort on the back right near the filter exit (where that water fall comes out). how should i adjust this? the red ludwiia are getting a nice red color at the top, but the bases keep dying and the leaves on the bottom fall off often, and the middle leaves get green blotched spots

I would trim down the red ludwigia and keep it in shape, other plants may be stopping the lower leaves getting light, hence the die off. trim off all dead leaves and trim it down and re plant the cutting. then place the remaining taller plants towards the back, and the smaller 'foreground' plants towards the front.

Blaxicanlatino 10-14-2009 12:00 PM

lol the red ludwigia are already almost in the front already from doing that 0_0. theres banana plant alreayd in the front