Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   what kind of snail is the best (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-kind-snail-best-30496/)

emmers 10-13-2009 03:51 PM

what kind of snail is the best

I am wondering what kind of snail is the best to get in a tank with guppies. it is a 5.5 gallon tank and it will have 4 guppies (currently 1 guppy because 3 have died during the cycling process). I have been told that a snail will help keep the tank clean of excess food and algae. The petsmart that is closest to me (i am not aware of any other, better, local pet/fish store) has several different colors of "mystery snails" but i don't know if i should look for something better...

also i am wondering how long I should wait before adding the snail. currently the tank is still cycling (about 1 week into the cycle) should I wait until the cycle is finished? or how long?

one last thing is that I am wondering if i should go get the new fish now or if I should wait for a couple of weeks for the tank to get further in the cycle...i can get a refund for the dead fish, or at least replace them, if I go back within 14 days with the dead fish...the last fish seems to be doing well with daily 1 gallon water changes...she is swimming around happily most of the time...

oh and before you go blaming me for the dead fish, i didn't know about the cycling process until after my tank was set up...and i found this forum...i am trying my hardest to set things right now...

any advice would be wonderful!

Calmwaters 10-13-2009 03:58 PM

I love Mystery Snails (I have 4) I would not get it right now though I would wait until your tank is cycled. I would lso suggest waiting for more fish or maybe just adding one more. Do you have a test kit? That in my opinion is one of the most important things to buy for keeping fish.

Krinedawg 10-14-2009 02:23 AM

I have Apple snails, and tons of them. If you check my aquariums, or profile there should be a picture of them. They, don't eat live plants, they keep the tank clean, and grow to be one of the largest fresh water snails (up to 6 inches). Keep in mind where the food is plentiful they can breed rapidly.
If you would like some send me a PM I have tons to spare.

If your browsing the forum then,
Yes, if you want some too, send me a pm!

All I ask is that you pay the shipping! The snails are otherwise free.

Lupin 10-14-2009 03:41 AM

Krinedawg, it depends which apple snail you are talking about. The "mythical" Pomacea maculata has been reputed to reach 6 inches however there has not been a single one of this particular species that existed in the trade. The largest is 4" which is Pomacea insularum. I am not sure about them cleaning the tank. I kept hundreds of apple snails and they exactly are not the cleanest creatures pooping a lot more than most people think.