Tropical Fish Keeping banner

is his eye okay or I have a reason to be worried?

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Poleren 
#1 ·
Hi.
I have a calico telescope eyes and I noticed that one of his eyes is bigger than the other one and I don't know if this is normal.
he lives in a 75 gallon with:
1 pearl scales calico goldfish
1 bubble eyes goldfish
1 black moor
1 oranda and one bristlenose pleco
all my water parameters are in check and water always on a steady 72 degrees.
I know you might say I am overstocked but I have 2 emperor 400 filters running and I researched a lot before adding the pleco.

Room Tail

Tail Fawn

Organism Fish Plant

See less See more
#8 ·
It seems weird that only one of his eye looks like that and the other fish are fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Those kinds of goldfish can easily injure their eyes. Unilateral popeye is often such a result. bi-lateral and multi fish symptoms are usually a result of water quality. Of course there are always exceptions. But as was said, some of those goldfish will have one eye bigger than the other naturally. It can be tough to determine when a bug-eyed fish has an eye infection.

#7 ·
Yeah, I'm no where near expert in Goldfish but I do recall seeing a few fish like this. You could take him out and do a low dosage of Epsom salt to see if it will reduce some swelling if it is indeed something related to Pop-eye. I would start with 1 tsp/gal first and leave him in it for a day or two to see if it helps to reduce it. Take pictures along the way so you can track the progress if there are any :)

#9 ·
I'm going with either an injury or a genetic mutation. Often culls are sold to pet stores instead of being euthanized. Many times these culls show inferior genetics, one of those being uneven eyes. If the fish begins showing signs of illness such as lethargy and unwillingness to eat, that's when you should step in with treatment.

As to the overstocked issue, I don't believe you are. Four goldfish in a 75 gal is a great stocking level in my opinion.

#12 ·
I was going with injury but I wasn't sure. All other fish seem fine and eating like pigs, so like you said I'll wait before I start treating him.
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
Hi.
I have a calico telescope eyes and I noticed that one of his eyes is bigger than the other one and I don't know if this is normal.
he lives in a 75 gallon with:
1 pearl scales calico goldfish
1 bubble eyes goldfish
1 black moor
1 oranda and one bristlenose pleco
all my water parameters are in check and water always on a steady 72 degrees.
I know you might say I am overstocked but I have 2 emperor 400 filters running and I researched a lot before adding the pleco.

View attachment 247097

View attachment 247105

View attachment 247113
Definitely, pop eye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.