Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   is his eye okay or I have a reason to be worried? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/his-eye-okay-i-have-reason-304769/)

ILLBETHEJUDGE 11-17-2013 09:59 PM

is his eye okay or I have a reason to be worried?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi.
I have a calico telescope eyes and I noticed that one of his eyes is bigger than the other one and I don't know if this is normal.
he lives in a 75 gallon with:
1 pearl scales calico goldfish
1 bubble eyes goldfish
1 black moor
1 oranda and one bristlenose pleco
all my water parameters are in check and water always on a steady 72 degrees.
I know you might say I am overstocked but I have 2 emperor 400 filters running and I researched a lot before adding the pleco.

Attachment 247097

Attachment 247105

Attachment 247113

ilykadothechacha 11-18-2013 02:32 AM

It looks like popeye.

DatBetta 11-18-2013 06:20 AM

... He looks like a goldfish he defiantly has popeye

Ogre44 11-18-2013 07:14 AM

I do believe that some of these fish end up with one eye large than the other.
It's a mutation and therefore kind of random.
I'd watch it and see if it gets any worse.

I will also note that your tank temp is low for a BN Pleco, they definitely prefer it closer to 80 than 72.

lilnaugrim 11-18-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatBetta (Post 3425930)
... He looks like a goldfish he defiantly has popeye

That's because he is a goldfish lol.

ILLBETHEJUDGE 11-18-2013 08:42 AM

It seems weird that only one of his eye looks like that and the other fish are fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

lilnaugrim 11-18-2013 09:01 AM

Yeah, I'm no where near expert in Goldfish but I do recall seeing a few fish like this. You could take him out and do a low dosage of Epsom salt to see if it will reduce some swelling if it is indeed something related to Pop-eye. I would start with 1 tsp/gal first and leave him in it for a day or two to see if it helps to reduce it. Take pictures along the way so you can track the progress if there are any :-)

jaysee 11-18-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE (Post 3426418)
It seems weird that only one of his eye looks like that and the other fish are fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Those kinds of goldfish can easily injure their eyes. Unilateral popeye is often such a result. bi-lateral and multi fish symptoms are usually a result of water quality. Of course there are always exceptions. But as was said, some of those goldfish will have one eye bigger than the other naturally. It can be tough to determine when a bug-eyed fish has an eye infection.

thekoimaiden 11-18-2013 12:03 PM

I'm going with either an injury or a genetic mutation. Often culls are sold to pet stores instead of being euthanized. Many times these culls show inferior genetics, one of those being uneven eyes. If the fish begins showing signs of illness such as lethargy and unwillingness to eat, that's when you should step in with treatment.

As to the overstocked issue, I don't believe you are. Four goldfish in a 75 gal is a great stocking level in my opinion.

ILLBETHEJUDGE 11-18-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 3427202)
I'm going with either an injury or a genetic mutation. Often culls are sold to pet stores instead of being euthanized. Many times these culls show inferior genetics, one of those being uneven eyes. If the fish begins showing signs of illness such as lethargy and unwillingness to eat, that's when you should step in with treatment.

As to the overstocked issue, I don't believe you are. Four goldfish in a 75 gal is a great stocking level in my opinion.

5 actually plus the bristlenose pleco but those don't grow more than 5 inches
Posted via Mobile Device