Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish Seperation (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-seperation-30462/)

MoneyMitch 10-12-2009 09:27 PM

Fish Seperation

ok so i got a new tank a few days ago and have been thinking, i have a 55 with 4 africans x2 johannis and x2 yellow labs. one of the johannis is totally dominated to staying under the filter outflow. if i moved the weaker johanni to the new tank would i be able to mix him with lets say, South american cichlids since he obviously isnt a dommant type of personality or would there still be aggro issues?

mollies 10-12-2009 09:39 PM

Dont move him he will be fine. Let me gues you have 2 males? If so see if you could take him back to lfs and get a female when they get them in, if they will alow you to. Or you can leave them together if you dont want breeding to take place. Its just the one has stated his teritory already. You can mix up the tank deco and they will get the new inviroment and stak out new doman. to see if that will help. I pearsonly would not recomend to put him in with the south amer cichlids. Or get a few females in the tak with them. Now are your yellows male/female, male/male, female/female?

MoneyMitch 10-12-2009 10:40 PM

the yellows are still kinds small but both of em have egg spots but one is a cross breed that has lasteral stripes of like a shiny yellow. now if i were to get females how many should i get with 2 males? i went to the place i got them and all they said is they can take him abck and say sorry for the mix up of two males in a 55. they said i would need like 5 females to make things better "by chance". the labs dont really pick on eachother but instead scavenge together or near eachother all the time. now when they go near the driftwood thats when putnik shows his real aggresive instinct and chases them into a cave he cant fit in.

MoneyMitch 10-12-2009 10:53 PM

fogot to add this in: i dont plan on rearranging the tank untill i get new fish (Next month) that way they can all redo the territory thing together.

mollies 10-12-2009 11:02 PM

Ok your yellow is not a cross breed thats how they look when they are (stressd, not the bet diet, ect) He will be fine but yes You will want at least 4 females to the 2 males of each. Did the lfs say they would credit you for the male? On the other hand you yellow will get 6 inch, a bit bigger then johannis at 4 inchs. So he sounds like he is just alittle bully. which will be fine. Do you have a quar tank? if so take the bully out for a few days let the others get better in the tank. Then re enterduce him and he should be a little calmer. Labs are pretty lade back fish. If it were me and i was wanting fry i would have 1 male to 3 females. As versed, 1 to 1 the females wouldnt get harased as much as if it were just the one.

mollies 10-12-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 256715)
fogot to add this in: i dont plan on rearranging the tank untill i get new fish (Next month) that way they can all redo the territory thing together.

I personly redo my tanks every few weeks. to change it up a bit and to get the one in there that are fighting over teritorys to get new. just me tho

MoneyMitch 10-12-2009 11:16 PM

do you have the same problem with a overly aggressive male? and rearrangeing your tank brings the other less dominant one out?

mollies 10-12-2009 11:36 PM

Yes i did a few time with my red zebra as the start to get ready to breed. he gets very up set at the yellow male. So i watch them. If it starts to get to bad i take Mr. yellow out and let Mr. red do his thing wth the mrs. A day or 2 later i put Mr. yellow back in. or vice vers......... To truly answer you, no i dont any more. It only took the males a couple months to get use to each other. But as said above only during breeding time.

mollies 10-12-2009 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my 75 african tank. Iv got over 75 lbs of lace rock front to back, 3/4 of the tank width, and almost to the top with lots of caves, 14 diffrent cichlids. So a lot of caves for them to hide in. Just thought i would share how mine is. Good luck. I hope this will all help. Attachment 4604

MoneyMitch 10-13-2009 01:24 AM

i never got to see a full tank shot b4 i like ur setup looks great!! so the stripes are from stress you say? makes sense cause he does have some fin missing probobly from the aggressive johanni. the q tank might take a little bit to get setup i got everything except a filter for it untill one pops up on craigslist its gunna be a while. thanks for the guidance though~