Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish dying (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-dying-30417/)

icewoman13 10-11-2009 07:59 PM

Fish dying

Hi all.
I have a 12 gallon tank I started in late April. I currently have a cory cat, horsefaced loach and a little guppy. I've had pH problems but thought it was under control. I've had three fish die and the others seem like they're headed that way. It's also weird that I have NO algae growth at all. Not even a little brown on the sides on the tank. I'm afraid to get anymore fish until I figure out whats going on.

Thanks!

Stats:
12 gallon
3 fish
76 degrees
H2O changes every 2 weeks
Filter change every month

JohnnyD44 10-11-2009 08:42 PM

what are your water parameters?? Have you added anything new to the tank? How often do you change your water? When you say "change filter every month" I'm assuming that you change out the biopads?

Let us know.

Also, when you do water changes....do you use any kind of water conditioner?

MoneyMitch 10-11-2009 08:46 PM

Ammonia levels?
nitrIte levels?
nitrAte levels?
ph?
Light schedule?
Feeding schedule?
What chemicals do you use and how often?

when you say you do water changes do you use tap water or water conditioner when you do this? What does your ph fluctuate between and does it do it at a certain time i.e after water changes. when you say you change the filter are you talking even the sponge part too? until these questions are answered nobody can help you.

JohnnyD44 10-11-2009 08:48 PM

ha, I think we posted at the same time money!!! great minds think alike!!! haha

icewoman13 10-11-2009 09:03 PM

I turn on the light when I get up so its usually the same schedule, 8am ish and when i go to bed around 10 or 11pm. I feed in the morning and once at night. I use Jungle Start water conditioner when i do water changes. I do change my filter monthly. I have just the drop in blue carbon filters, it filters good. My nitrates are normal. I did find out that my ph was higher than normal and was given neutral regulator that i use each water change.

JohnnyD44 10-11-2009 09:17 PM

what are you other levels besides nitrates?....ammonia? nitrite?

have you added anything new to the tank?

what are the parameters of your tap water?

MoneyMitch 10-11-2009 09:20 PM

numbers of the levels would be appriciated. you say you add something for the ph. i bet you 20$ that is your ph problem and your fish death problem. fluxing ph kills fish like it their job. try not using the ph chemical for like a week or two weeks and see what happens. as far as changing out your filter every month. STOP your removing good bac from your tank and forceing a mini cycle. just get inserts without carbon and keep it in for ATLEAST 3 months.