Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Baking soda

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Byron 
#1 ·
Any one can advise me about using baking soda to raise PH....
I have read a couple of articles about this...
but is it a good idea?
how long will it stay raised?
and how much does a person use per 10 gallons?

any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Ron

#3 ·
Totally agree with MM on this. Your pH is what it is for a reason, usually (but not always) connected to the buffering capability of the water's carbonate hardness (measured as dKH) and/or the biological processes at work in the aquarium. The biiological actions will slowly lower pH by acidifying the water, and the buffering action will work to maintain a stable pH along with partial water changes. Any adjustment with chemicals or whatever will be temporary (assuming there is a degree of KH), resulting in fluctuating ph which is very stressful on fish and can kill some outright.

There are safe ways to raise pH using calcareous rock/gravel but the first thing is to know the current pH and hardness (KH but GH as well would be useful) of the tap water and the tank water. To be safe, you need to know if it is changing in the tank and why, before deciding if it is worth adjusting.

Byron.

#4 ·
My PH has been stable since I started this tank at 7.4
I was concerned and I knew I need to raise it so I purchased some LIMESTONE
11 pounds of it went into the tank.. and in a couple a days I noticed the PH was at 7.6
it stabilized.. and thats were it has been I am going to do another water change either today or
tomorrow? depends
MY tap Water has a stabil PH of 8.0
I know its stabil I tested the PH and then let it sit over night then tested again and the PH was still
at 8.0
So today I went and purchased Crushed Coral... I have an Emperor 400 and a 350 and both have
bio containers were I put the Crushed Coral. I am hoping that it will help in the BUFFER effect on the
PH... ( I am thinking it will help when I do a water change ) I prolly should do a Water Change tonight.
and then check the PH tomorrow after work...
but I have read so much about adding the Baking Soda.. I have heard you guys talking before
about how NOT to adjust the PH with chemicals..... and then I have heard several guys here locally
tell me they do this to get there Pairs to BREED.
So I figured I would ask ... thats what the Forum is all about... :eek:)
thanks
Ron

#5 ·
Good to ask, we all learn that way.

The fact that your tank pH is lower than the tap (and doing the 24hr test is very wise) suggests your tap water has little carbonate hardness. It would be good to have it tested, either with your own API hardness (both KH and GH) kit or take a sample to the store. it's the KH that is important in this, but it is good to know the GH as well.

Limestone rock raises pH and hardness but slowly, as you've noticed. Crushed dolomite, coral or marble (as in such gravels) do it faster. I use dolomite gravel, about half a cup in a nylon bag in the filter chamber does it, raises the GH/KH about 1-2 ppm which is enough to maintain a stable pH at 6.0 which is where I want it. But before trying this, I would get your water tested for KH and GH. Adjusting water pH and hardness is tricky as it can suddenly swing due to this or that, and that is dangerous on the fish.

Byron.

#6 ·
My idea of doing a water change now ( SHOULD ) raise the PH
maybe not much but it should... since I have the limestone in the
tank now and the crushed coral since my water is already at 8.0
from the tap I was thinking if I take out about 25 gallons of water
then let that circulate for a day check the PH and then do it again
in SLOW stages.... as to not RAISE the PH to much at one time...
Whats your all's Ideas on this ?????

#7 ·
My idea of doing a water change now ( SHOULD ) raise the PH
maybe not much but it should... since I have the limestone in the
tank now and the crushed coral since my water is already at 8.0
from the tap I was thinking if I take out about 25 gallons of water
then let that circulate for a day check the PH and then do it again
in SLOW stages.... as to not RAISE the PH to much at one time...
Whats your all's Ideas on this ?????
Didn't ask previously, but I'm assuming this is the cichlid tank shown under your Aquariums (nice tanks, both, by the way). They will be better with a higher pH and hardness, so using the crushed coral will benefit them.

The water change on its own might slightly raise the ph short-term but depending upon the carbonate hardness (which we still need to know to avoid surprises in these adjustments) it may lower back within a day or two. The crushed coral will slowly work to raise hardness and pH over the course of several days/weeks. Here again the KH of the tap water is a factor. As well as how much coral. I personally would not do water changes solely in an attempt to adjust the water parameters in this situation; if it is the normal time for the weekly pwc, fine. Otherwise, I would let the coral do its thing. But knowing the KH of the tap water will give us some idea of what we should expect.

Byron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.