Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   stocking or OVER stocking?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-over-stocking-30408/)

molliefan09 10-11-2009 05:59 PM

stocking or OVER stocking??

So i have a 20 gal freshwater tank currently with the following inhabitants:

1 black molly
1 lyretail molly
1 fry (assumed to be a molly)
1 assorted platy
1 pleco
1 african dwarf frog
1 dragon fish
1 albino corycat
and a few ghost shrimp

i would like to get at least two more corycats, my lfs says they do better in odd numbered schools. i would also like to get a friend for my ADF and maybe some more mollies or platies but i dont want to over stock my tank.

Twistersmom 10-11-2009 06:24 PM

Do you know the scientific name of your dragon fish? Both arowana and dragon goby are sometimes called dragon fish.

MoneyMitch 10-11-2009 07:06 PM

your borderline overstocked right now.

molliefan09 10-11-2009 07:50 PM

it is a dragon goby.....

reply to moneymitch:
this is just a question for my own knowledge so please dont get the wrong idea when i say this because thing always come out wrong on the computer....but how do you determine overstock?? what does it go by?? at my lfs they have a 125 gal, which i know is MUCH more then what i have, but they have over 100 fish in it...i'm pretty sure it is an african cichlid tank....i've always heard 1 fish per gallon...which i do know now that it extremely mistaken after the research i've done and all the helpful advise i've gotten from my lfs and you all here!! Any comments or constructive critisim are greatly appreciated! this is a whole new world to me and i am def. getting into it. we plan on getting more and larger tanks soon but i want to make sure i have all the needed knowledge before i go putting anyones lives at stake!!

JohnnyD44 10-11-2009 08:47 PM

I agree with Money....

the 1 fish per gallon isn't very truthful at all...neither is the 1 inch per gallon rule either.....most LFS will load up a tank only to keep the most about fish possible in stock to sell them. They would never reccommened keeping 100 fish in a 100 gallon tank.....at least not a reputable fish store (not saying yours isn't...) so it's always a guideline, you have to look at how big you fish will be in the long run....filtration and water changes also play a huge part in the amount of fish that you are able to house....

your stocking list: I agree with money, you are close to over stocked....your pleco...is it a common pleco? If so, those bad boys can grow over a foot long!!

Hope some of this helps...

Johnny

MoneyMitch 10-11-2009 08:53 PM

pleco is what brought me to that accusation. they have crazy long poop strands which strains your tank's bio filtration. i have a african cichlid 55 gal now if i put 55 africans in there someone would die everyday untill there were about 20 or so just because of territorial issues and the fact that a fish needs a hiding spot that is THEIRS to keep from being stressed out. johhny is correct that it also depends on the frequency of w/c and filtration. to sum it up you only have a 29 with 10 fish already 1 fish pergallon is crazy wrong. unless you have MASSIVE filtration aqua scape and daily 25% w/c atleast. if you wanna go by any "rule" i would put in a little less than half the num,ber of fish that the size of the tank. so you ahve a 29 gallon lets round that to 30. 30 divided by 2 is 15 then you wanna bump that down a little more just to be safe from not overstocking and stressing your fish by about 3 or so and then you got 12 fish maximum. Money

molliefan09 10-11-2009 08:53 PM

i ahev no clue wha tkind of pleco it is....i just posted some new pic to "my aquarium" and there is a pic of him there....not very good though..maybe you can tell??

MoneyMitch 10-11-2009 08:56 PM

i looked through the pics and couldnt find him wheres he at?
you might wanna bump your temp down by threee or four deg ;)

molliefan09 10-11-2009 08:58 PM

ok moneymitch thank you...that makes sence and now i know. i didnt realize how close i actually was!! no more fish untill i get a bigger tank!!!!

molliefan09 10-11-2009 09:00 PM

it's the 4th pic....brown/black fish...looks like it has brown or red eyes stuck upside down on a black thing