New member from tropical island
HI, I am new in the forum. I have been looking for information regarding species and still quite confussed. I plan to buy a 10g starter kit at Walmart. I plan to buy cold fresh water fish. I live in Puerto RIco and the weather is always 90 degrees or more.
1. After tank setup, do I need to wait 48 hours before putting the fish in?
2. What other chemicals are needed before putting the fish in?
3. Can I mix the following fish together: 2 females guppies, 1 male beta, 1 swordtail, and 2 neon tetras?
4. Need to by two different fish flakes right?
5. I will appreciate your advice.
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I did not know Puerto Rico, also has Walmart! I guess Walmart is everywhere!
1) It is best to wait 48 hrs before adding fish to make sure the filter is in good working order.
2) you will need a water conditioner that will remove chlorine and chloramines. All new water needs to be treated.
3) Do you have a water test kit, or can you take some water to a fish store to be tested? The fish on your list have different ph/ Water hardness requirements. The guppies and swordtail need a higher ph, while the neon tetras need soft water with low ph. Bettas prefer softer, but can adapt well to different ph levels.
Neon tetras need to be in larger groups. 5 or 6 would be a better # to have. Bettas do not always do well with neons, it will depend on how aggressive your betta is.
4)A variety in food is always best.
5) Have you read up on the aquarium cycle? When you set up a tank with fish, all new tanks go threw a cycle.
This is where you build up bacteria (nitrates), to eat the toxic ammonia and nitrites. Ammonia and nitrites are a by product of the fish, and need to be kept at safe levels in order for your fish to live through the new tank cycle.
Best to buy a water test kit so you can test the water daily and preform water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite under .25 ppm.
That was a brief description of the aquarium cycle. Read up on it before adding fish.
What temperature is your house? Buy a thermometer for the tank, but if the water does not drop bellow 78 deg, you may not need a heater.
Thanks for the great information. I will consider guppies and swordtail only for know. Walmart has alsmost 50 stores in the Island. We have Macy's, Burlington Factory, Marshalls, and many mores. Unfortunately there is no Petco or Petsmart.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.